sneakly gcse science results at top indie

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tree

Post by Tree »

If you have a quick scan through some of the recent university threads you'll see that it does a child no favours to enter them for GCSEs in which they have no chance of obtaining good grades.
Yes agreed although there is some debate that you have to get good grades in recognised subjects and maybe some uni's would look less favourably on double science even if you got an a* than single sciences if you get an a say
Edexcel are poor qualifications and often picked by less selective state schools to boost grades. There was an article about it recently. In fact my son sat an Edexcel GCSE maths paper not that long ago and gained 100% but in the IGCSE paper his mark was substantially lower and the paper was much tougher. The only standardisation that goes on is at university level where they discount many of these GCSE's. Unfortunately, children are being fooled into thinking they are A grade students when in fact they are not.

I'd be really interested to see that article tipsy is there some independent evidence that the grades are of a lower standard cos if so that would be stunning. Is this discounting an official university policy or a 'behind the scenes' thing?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I thought I posted the link on here a while back but if not I have no idea where to find it now...sorry.
Tree

Post by Tree »

Have googled edexcel and standards can't find anything obvious and certainly on a few uni websites there is no mention of discounting edexcel results, some references to this would be really interesting. Do you have to tell uni's which board you took in the exams ?? I have a mate who sits on admissions for oxford will ask him next time i see him i'm pretty sure my daughters exam board for some of her gcse's is edexcel so i am interested.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

TBH I wouldn't be too worried as long as the A'level exam bodies are good. Edexcel is not good prep for A'levels though. I remember the article quoting a teacher who thought the level of edexcel was poor but sat his kids for the exam so they would achieve a better result. :shock:
KenR

Post by KenR »

Edexcel are poor qualifications and often picked by less selective state schools to boost grades. There was an article about it recently. In fact my son sat an Edexcel GCSE maths paper not that long ago and gained 100% but in the IGCSE paper his mark was substantially lower and the paper was much tougher. The only standardisation that goes on is at university level where they discount many of these GCSE's. Unfortunately, children are being fooled into thinking they are A grade students when in fact they are not.
Tipsy,

Your above post and, in particular, the statement that Universities actively discriminate against Edexcel is potentially libelous. You need to justify your claim or withdraw or edit the post.

Ken
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

KenR, of course standardisation goes on at university level. It happens when deciding if a kid is bright or has just had a good education and in other contexts: St Paul's pupils not getting into Durham over less qualified candidates. Anyway who is going to sue poor old me! :lol: The article was in a national newspaper so I cannot be done for libel!

Mod Reply - As Moderators we have a duty of care to remove libelous statements. If you can demonstrate that your statement was a quote then we won't have to edit.- Ken
beebee

Post by beebee »

WP

Post by WP »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Anyway who is going to sue poor old me! :lol: The article was in a national newspaper so I cannot be done for libel!
That defence only works if you can point at the article, which you didn't. If you want to make statements like that, you really must show us your sources.
zee

Post by zee »

T.i.p.s.y wrote: Anyway who is going to sue poor old me!
It's not just you. They could try suing or closing down the site if they can demonstrate that the mods didn't take action.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think it was this article although I read another article a few months ago. I have edited my quote about universities but frankly if they do not sift out the poor GCSE's from the strong ones then more fool them. Universities should produce one exam and stick to it and government meddling should stop. Only then will the exam system be fair.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now