Late Move to Prep Dilemma...

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

DD is at Co-Ed - but it's OK, because it's all girls at home (except for her dad, but someone's got to pay the bills :lol: :lol: :lol: )
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
guest43

Post by guest43 »

Point I was trying to make (and obviously not succeeding!) is that according to the ISI website there are 45 independent senior schools in Surrey-5 all boys 17 all girls and 23 co-ed. (and no I don't know whether any of them are any good)

However by limiting yourself to single gender you reduce your independent options for boys from 28 choices to 5 and for girls from 40 choices to 17.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

guest43 wrote:Point I was trying to make (and obviously not succeeding!) is that according to the ISI website there are 45 independent senior schools in Surrey-5 all boys 17 all girls and 23 co-ed. (and no I don't know whether any of them are any good)

However by limiting yourself to single gender you reduce your independent options for boys from 28 choices to 5 and for girls from 40 choices to 17.
Other thing that comes from thsi (and it happens round yorkshire too) is that there are far more girls places available in indies than boys. eg here there are.. harrogate ladies, gateways, bradford girls etc all girls and BGS GSAL Ashville, woodhouse, etc all Coed and boys schools??? eeerrr.. well there is on state GS and no indies :oops:
guest43

Post by guest43 »

Yep in North West boys only senior independents-
Lancashire-Nil Cheshire-Nil Merseyside 1 (Merchant Taylor's Crosby-maybe not a good advert for this type of school given the recent scandal!!!)Manchester 3 Cumbria-Nil

Whole of Wales-1!
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

sherry_d wrote:
Rob Clark wrote: Out of interest are they any coed grammars? I know most are at A level but I mean mixed from Y7
Up here in Lancashire there are. http://www.clitheroeroyalgrammar.lancs.sch.uk/
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10100;430/st/20100902/e/DD+Starts+Senior+School/dt/5/k/bbdb/event.png[/img]
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Things are a little different here depending where exactly you live.
For boys:
All the grammars are single sex (3 boys grammars-4 if count Tiffin)
Trinity & Whitgift are single sex
Ewell Castle single sex
Kings Wimbledon single sex till sixth form

Coed:
Epsom college
Reigate grammar
Royal Russell
St John's Leatherhead-but only just gone co-ed

But Reigate grammar is quite a long way away so locally the choices for loopylou are broader if single sex.
:D
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

The other thing to check is how co-ed are the schools. I have just discounted a local co-ed indie for my DD as the current year 7 ratio is 4 boys to every girl. Being a small school there would not be enough girls for a hockey team unless they play 5 a side! It would also be very socially limiting.
KB

Post by KB »

Unless it really is very small (as in Minesatea's case) don't discount a recent co-ed simply because of a ration like she describes.

DD went to a school with similar ratio at the time. They were big enough to field a hockey team though (just!) and were incredibly strong at games due to brilliant staff & strong games tradition.
For my DD - who would probably have preferred to go to a boys school :) - it was an ideal environment. Not for a shrinking violet or very feminine young lady though!

If it is very small then this won't help either - but each year after DD started there was a significant increase in proportion of girls. It might be worth checking the numbers of girls they are expecting to join as well as the current numbers.
guest43

Post by guest43 »

surreymum wrote:the choices for loopylou are broader if single gender.
:D
Not really. If you are prepared to consider co-ed as well as single gender you always have a broader choice.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now