South Hampstead High School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

purplerose69

South Hampstead High School

Post by purplerose69 »

Can anyone give me some information or advice about South Hampstead High School? Have you had any experience?
Thanks.
[/b]
another mother

Post by another mother »

My dd is there and we are delighted with how she is doing. Do you want to pm me some specific questions? On a general level though, there is some really exceptional teaching, terrific music, and most importantly very considerable fostering of individuals - we've been really impressed at the pastoral care and interest.
Girls are able to be individuals and although they get fantastic results, so far certainly, it doesn't seem as exam focussed as other girls schools we know well(despite rather too many tests and a silly system of sending out grades each half term which isn't necessary I think).

It's a bit scruffy but also rather liberal in outlook cf with some. And although it has had a reputation as a dreadful pressure cooker, we're not seeing that, certainly at this stage. Our primary head told us terrible stories about it- they haven't turned out to be true. There was a rocky regime in the 90s but that is long gone. One member of staff told me recently it was the happiest staff room she had ever worked in. It feels like quite a normal school - not too rarified and able to accomodate all comers and every individual. It's not as easy as at other dd's school to contact staff but I like those we have met at parents evenings and they are fantastic about supporting the music and drama. Sport seems good though doesn't much involve us!
The most important thing for us is that our DD is happy going off to school and is clearly learning and thriving but also doing all sorts of things that are a challenge for her as a shy girl.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

My niece is at the school and is doing very well.

The only comment I have is that she has far more homework than her cousin (who is the same age) who is at a good state school (non-grammer area) in Hertfordshire. This is possibly due to the options they have taken, and the nature od the two girls in question (one is more academic, the other more practical).

The parents are very happy with the school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now