how true is it?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

supertrex

how true is it?

Post by supertrex »

I heard some said if students obtained scholarship in secondary school (indies) they would have higher chance to be accepted by top universities, how true is it?? :P
hermanmunster

Re: how true is it?

Post by hermanmunster »

maybe as they have scholarships it means they are bright and would get into top uni anyway.

However in some areas getting a scholarship means they are the brightest of those who who didn't get into the GS....

Trouble with any of these "you are more likely to get in if..." scenarios is that there are far too many factors to control for .... subjects taken, outside interests, scores on the doors, genes, performance at interview, interests in obscure books, genes, working knowledge of croquet, the recipe for pimms....um genes,

bottom line is that there are far too few like for like cases to compare .. particularly when it comes to scholarships as these can vary hugely
Amber

Post by Amber »

I don't suppose it is going to hurt if you can say you got an academic scholarship to a school though. It is just one of a number of things which can go on a CV - by itself unlikely to swing anything, but just a little extra point in your favour.
KB

Post by KB »

Think the Uni would be more interested in what the student had acheived (exam wise) since being at the school.
The fact they have been at an Indie at all could still be counter-productive.
Agree with herman that its probably insignificant.
vas

Post by vas »

Just a thought, generally scholarships are offered by indies when the initial offer of a place is made and not for the grammar filtered residue. Also most indies send offer letters before national allocation day. But I agree with the rest of the post that this will have little impact for university application.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now