Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

child care vouchers and boarding / after school activities

Post by hermanmunster »

stevew61

Re: child care vouchers and boarding / after school activiti

Post by stevew61 »

Also certain childcare (ofsted reg.?) tutor groups qualify, I looked into it for DCs at a national chain of computer based tuition where they 'explore learning' :wink:

Now if I register and tutor my own kids.........I would fall foul of the related party transaction test?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Yes, they can be used for the boarding element of school fees - including the boarding fees for state boarding schools.

They can also be used for holiday clubs, adventure holidays and similar - in fact, when Master 1880 went to secondary school in Sep and no longer needed after school care I kept taking the maximum amount and have been saving them up; he and his sister have been spending this week being pushed off cliffs and held under water etc. on the proceeds :D :D .

Mike
dinah

Post by dinah »

This sounds too good to be true. How do you know if you are entitled to them and where do you get them from?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Are these the vouchers that can be provided via your company/employer with the amount being taken from your pre-tax salary - or have I completely got the wrong end of the stick?

Is this then saying that the vouchers can be used against school fees (after the age of 5yrs)?

Sorry having a very blonde/ditsy/senior moment here :oops:

Thanks
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

That's the story. Parents can buy vouchers and they are paid for before they pay tax and NI. Can be used for range of things. Have similar thing in NHS for buying bicycles....
Gman

Post by Gman »

Every employee is entitled to buy the vouchers out of their pre tax income. The amount is deducted before tax. So if you are a 40% tax payer, the amount you actual pay is approximately 60%.

If your employer does not offer them speak to HR and request them.

I believe the maximum monthly figure is about £240 that you can purchase.

Their are certain requirements, namely that the provider is registered with Ofsted. It is often the case that the vouchers are issued in the name of the provider, but check with your HR department.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Hi there, thanks for the info.

One more question - does the school (in our case a day prep school) have to accept them/ be registered etc. Every penny saved towards the fees is a good idea in my book.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Doodles - not sure if they have to accept them (though it sounds as though a wide range of places do accept them!) ,

.....maybe they should be encouraged to do so!!!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Can't hurt to ask! :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now