To or too??!
pheasantchick

Re: Inde or Grammer

Post by pheasantchick »

Too! (Too = also, as well) :P
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I assume the clever lot focussed on grammar schools don't have the same problem.
The clever lot should be focused, hopefully (one ‘s’) :D

Sorry, londonmum, couldn’t resist…
phaedra

Post by phaedra »

It would be advisable to check the accuracy of your assumptions before displaying petty pedantry: focussed is also correct spelling.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Only by common usage, phaedra (those damn Yanks again :D ). In English when you are using the past participle of a verb there is usually no doubling of the consonant if the preceding vowel is unstressed.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Goodness, let's rename this Pedants' Corner and see how many people's English really is up to the job.
The clever lot should be focused, hopefully
'Hopefully' is an adverb,as we all know, so one assumes the focusing, or focussing, or the act of getting into focus, is being done with hope; because of course no-one with a command of English good enough to comment on others would use it to mean 'we hope', would they?
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

'Hopefully' is an adverb,as we all know, so one assumes....
I like it. An assumption in itself!

As is Godot's assumption. Both of mine failed the 11+ for Grammar (got it!). In my daughter's case it was a bit of an "epic fail".

Both at Indies, and both doing well. Indeed predicted results based on average results of their schools, are higher than if they had got into a Grammar, which is something I am not sure I understand. So maybe they will do OK despite my own failings in spelling and punctuation. Perhaps I should worry less about my inadequacy when I next come across Grammar parents making plans on how they are going to spend all that disposable income.

Failing 11+ and getting into a top flight indie is not that unusual. I know at least two or three very talented girls, two of who achieved major scholarships, and a third who waltzed into SPGS, after failing to get a Grammar place. I don't know whether the greater flexibility Indies have in interviewing etc, allows them to make more informed, if less transparent, decisions when allocating places. Or if it is the restricted nature of the 11+ or the bias created by the intense levels of coaching that go on.

Now pedants.. something topic related for you to discuss.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I do think the interview process is key - if done the right way - in sorting out the most able pupils. Two out of three of DS's interviews were the tutors taking DS for a tour round the school, seeing how he engaged or became sparky when he saw certain paintings or equipment and they would ask questions whilst walking. A brilliant idea for a shy or less loquacious child. One tutor had a beautiful model of the solar system and they discussed the tecnique the artist used to get the realistic colours, the tutor incorporated some geography topics and finally a maths question all around the model. DS didn't have a clue and came out of his interview saying he hadn't had one! :lol: Westminster gave a similar interview but other boys I know at Westminster got a different style of interview.

Oh and Londonmum your DC's didn't fail the 11+, this is London after all and the odds are against everyone! The percentage going to Oxbridge from the GS is minute compared to the inde so I think the inde's method of finding the brightest is much more accurate.
Amber

Post by Amber »

londonmum wrote:
Both at Indies, and both doing well. Indeed predicted results based on average results of their schools, are higher than if they had got into a Grammar, which is something I am not sure I understand. So maybe they will do OK despite my own failings in spelling and punctuation. Perhaps I should worry less about my inadequacy when I next come across Grammar parents making plans on how they are going to spend all that disposable income.

Failing 11+ and getting into a top flight indie is not that unusual. I know at least two or three very talented girls, two of who achieved major scholarships, and a third who waltzed into SPGS, after failing to get a Grammar place. I don't know whether the greater flexibility Indies have in interviewing etc, allows them to make more informed, if less transparent, decisions when allocating places. Or if it is the restricted nature of the 11+ or the bias created by the intense levels of coaching that go on.

Now pedants.. something topic related for you to discuss.
You, like me, londonmum, must really enjoy all the threads which end in the conclusion that indies are full of children who weren't clever enough to make it to GS! I think you and wfg are right in pointing out that the selection procedures are very different; here in Gloucestershire GS tests are VR alone - you couldn't get a much narrower definition of 'able' if you tried. I would also add that even 'mediocre' indies, rather than 'top flight' ones, will often look for very creative ways to stretch and challenge pupils and boost their results. I was (pleasantly) shocked by the results at my DD's indie this year as it is really not selective at all, and the year in question was not an especially able one within that. Tbh I think the same is true of good comprehensives - any school without the luxury of being to select entirely on ability will have to try that little bit harder to get the very best results out of every student; and a school is not necessarily a 'good' school just because all the children in it have passed an ability test to get there.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

I am so with you,
Amber, Londonmum and Wating-for-Godot.

My DD is taking the grammar test in a few days and yes it will be nice to get a place but its not the end of life if she does not. She is doing an indie test in January and I have also gone to look at an indie that is not selective.

Well said I believe they get a more and well rounded education at indies. Imho, I think a lot of grammar parents will go the indie route if not for the funds but for me, holidays are not as important as my children having quality education.

One should not knock indie schools and think they only take grammar failures. Most end up doing very well and thats what matters.