Britain's Youngest Boarders

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sherbetlemon

Re: Britain's Youngest Boarders

Post by Sherbetlemon »

Sorry, can't resist: Snowdrops's. New Hart's Rules (OUP): 'An apostrophe and s are generally used with personal names ending with an s, x, or z sound'. Snowdrops' sounds better though, so it might be a permissible exception. It's not as exact a science as one might think.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Sherbetlemon wrote:Sorry, can't resist: Snowdrops's. New Hart's Rules (OUP): 'An apostrophe and s are generally used with personal names ending with an s, x, or z sound'. Snowdrops' sounds better though, so it might be a permissible exception. It's not as exact a science as one might think.
YAY!!!
mad?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I think there are permissable exceptions too.

.................... and mine is one of them :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Didn't I just know I'd be corrected :lol: )
Sherbetlemon

Post by Sherbetlemon »

:wink:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Snowdrops wrote:I think there are permissable exceptions too.
There are indeed! Essentially it depends whether you would say "Snowdrops" or "Snowdropses". If the latter, you should add an "s" and in the former you shouldn't - i.e. write it as you would say it. Which in Snowdrops' case may depend on individual preference.

Mike
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I agree with Mike. I currently edit books for a living and this is exactly the principle we apply.

I also agree with his conclusion, that in this case it could be either depending on personal preference. Since it Snowdrops’ name, I think we should let her decide :D
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

Snowdrops wrote: Clever little Clegg eh?
Yet in a room containing half a dozen wash basins he looked around and asked "Where do we brush our teeth?".
OK, intelligence and common sense aren't the same thing but really!

I felt sorry for the older boys who slept in the claustrophobic cell-like cubicles and can see why Dominic's mother was rather taken aback by his new accommodation especially as it was clear that boarding was the father's idea. Nevertheless, I thought the school came across very well, certainly better than Highfield in Channel 4's Leaving Home at 8 (and, yes, I know that's down to editing and the director's slant to a great extent).

Incidentally, what happens if there are more than 2 boys from one family at the school: Clegg Major, Clegg Minor and Clegg ? I asked my husband, product of 10 years at boarding school, who said this hadn't ever come up at his school.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Maybe he thought he had to be assigned to a wash basin?
mad?

Post by mad? »

Snowdrops wrote:Maybe he thought he had to be assigned to a wash basin?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
mad?
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I shall explain the cells, having been around the school 4 :oops: times - I told you I was keen!

In the final two years they have this room because they are getting to the age where they need privacy and it was also to prepare them for senior schools (Eton mainly) where you have your own room (vast in comparison) from day one. If a child has been at the school at least a year before he goes into the cell then they think it is cool - it's a boys thing apparently - military/sea cabin etc. :roll: However I'm not sure it's the best idea for a child just starting (a tiny proportion) although it is good for them to have their privacy.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now