Merchant Taylors Northwood - tips for interviews

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Herts Dad

Merchant Taylors Northwood - tips for interviews

Post by Herts Dad »

My son has an interview this week at Merchant Taylors. Would very much appreciate any help with the following:

1.How long is the interview and is this conducted in a group or individually?

2. Are they asked to do any more tests

3. Do they ask about other applications and results?

4. They say that the interview gives him "an opportunity to say something about himself, about his interests and what he hopes to do at Merchant Taylors - not sure the sort of things they are looking for for the last of these.

Many thanks foryour help
HD
jayjay

mt interview

Post by jayjay »

My son had his interview last week.

He was asked to read a passage and answer some questions

he was asked some maths questions

he was then asked to identify some of the famous names from a series of photos

generally, which schools has he applied to, what re his hobbies, any questions about mt, what do his parents do, etc

hoep this helps
Herts Dad

Merchant Taylors

Post by Herts Dad »

JayJay

Many thanks. That is very helpful. At least it gives an idea of what they are about.

Was the interview individual? and how long did it last?

Gosh pictures. I hope its not the politicians! If its footballers or crocketers he will be fine.

Best of luck with your son.

Herts Dad
quest

Re: Merchant Taylors

Post by quest »

Herts Dad wrote:JayJay

Many thanks. That is very helpful. At least it gives an idea of what they are about.

Gosh pictures. I hope its not the politicians! If its footballers or crocketers he will be fine.

Herts Dad
My son Had an interview last week. As Jay said they asked about tony blair and bush , Iraq, also lot about cricket,Interview Individual by head or deputy head. My son was really happy when he came out.
sj355

Re: Merchant Taylors

Post by sj355 »

Ooooops, :shock:

Thank god I did not apply to MT! My son did the HABS interview last week and there were no such questions. While he may have dealt with the Bush/Blair questions OK, I do not think that it is appropriate for a child to have formed an opinion concerning the war in Iraq, although of course he is fully aware of it (I may be old- fashioned in this respect).
As for cricket it would have been a disaster for us, as no one in my family knows anything about it (Southern Europeans know next to nothing about this sport!). Regarding football, despite my husband's eager and enthusiastic efforts, my kid knows very little about this as well (he prefers to play it rather than watch it).
I hope that an interview my son has tommorow to another school has nothing of this sort.

INEX

quote="quest"]
Herts Dad wrote:JayJay

Herts Dad
My son Had an interview last week. As Jay said they asked about tony blair and bush , Iraq, also lot about cricket,Interview Individual by head or deputy head. My son was really happy when he came out.[/quote]
sj355
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now