How should I answer question re other schools?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
parentchild

How should I answer question re other schools?

Post by parentchild »

My son applied to 2 very good independent schools. I understand some apply to six or seven. We limited to 2 because he is effectively guaranteed entry into a very good state school.

re the independent applications, he didn't get through one and has an interview for the other. I hid the rejection letter!

I see that some of the schools ask about other applications - not sure why they ask the child this.

If asked, which is better for him

1. to say that he applied to two and got rejected from the other. In this case the school has almost certainty that if offered he will take the place.

2. to say that he applied to two but hasn't heard from the other. Will the fact that he got rejected by the other count against him?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

not sure -
all I know is that some independent schools hate being rejected themselves and only like giving places to kids who are going to go there!

Could always say "I have applied to X but would really like to come here" - they then to be able to answer "why?" - doesn't need to be a lot - just something that the school is proud of eg sport / extra curricular /drama etc etc - or even that "Z" is at the school and really enjoys it.

Post by Guest »

In my experience I was not asked where else we applied, but if you are, you needn't say you had a rejection. They should chose for themselves. These schools are in competition and don't share information. Tell them, perhaps, that this is the school of your choice and your others have been state grammars which you would not yet know about.

Post by Guest »

In my experience I was not asked where else we applied, but if you are, you needn't say you had a rejection. They should chose for themselves. These schools are in competition and don't share information. Tell them, perhaps, that this is the school of your choice and your others have been state grammars which you would not yet know about.

Post by Guest »

Myself and my son were asked about other schools of interest and we were both fairly honest in our responses (told them of the grammar). However, we left our first choice school with no doubt that if they made an offer, we would accept. They made an offer (a very good one) and we accepted. It can work in your favour if the school knows that you have applied to competing schools and your child a stands a good chance of getting in.

Post by Guest »

Myself and my son were asked about other schools of interest and we were both fairly honest in our responses (told them of the grammar). However, we left our first choice school with no doubt that if they made an offer, we would accept. They made an offer (a very good one) and we accepted. It can work in your favour if the school knows that you have applied to competing schools and your child a stands a good chance of getting in.