Drugs at Merchant Taylor's and Habs Boys?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
CoolMum5

Re: Drugs at Merchant Taylor's and Habs Boys?

Post by CoolMum5 »

zorro wrote:Coolmum5,
Out of interest, how did you hear about this problem? We were considering sending our DS to Habs a couple of years ago and hadn't heard anything about this.
Actually, through a number of sources - parents of old boys, old boys, girlfriends of old boys and so on. I hadn't asked - it just came out through conversation. We are trying to keep an open mind because, as has been rightly said before, drugs are probably an issue for most schools (to varying degrees).

Drug of choice at these places is said to be cocaine and no - I don't think ethnicity has anything to do with it. While it is true that there are a lot of Asians at these schools, I don't believe that this prevents or inhibits a drugs culture at all.

And actually, I think that's what my concern is - that a drugs culture has been allowed to take root at these schools, as I am not naive enough to think the problem is not present in other places.

As for 'zero tolerance' - that is a policy statement pertaining to intent, rather than an explicit statement assuring the parent that 'no problem exists here'. It's a term oft used, much misunderstood and, unfortunately, not a deterrent...
CoolMum5

Re: Drugs at Merchant Taylor's and Habs Boys?

Post by CoolMum5 »

hermanmunster wrote:WFG - the word "endemic" is quite right. It is used when a disease or situation / practice is constantly present.
Drug use and abuse in all schools is constantly present and hence endemic or rife as you put it.
If it gets to be a higher level then maybe we call it epidemic. If people try to say it is not endemic then they are like the beloved ostrich - similar problem occurs when heads say that there school never has any bullying....

What a perfect reply - thank you!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now