Benefits of 10+

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
LarryB

Benefits of 10+

Post by LarryB »

Hi All,

I'm in somewhat of a dilemma here. We are considering putting our Yr5 DS forward for the Trinity & Whitgift 10+ exams in Jan, which if he is successful means he'll complete his primary (Yr6) at one of these schools. Now my dilemma:

a). DS currently attends 3 hrs p/w for Maths, Eng & VR. He is in top group for Maths in sch & middle group for Eng, but that's really improving. Only thing is he can get easily distracted which can result in him not finishing his work.
b).I'm unsure of what the benefit would be for GS as the exams would be in Sept 2011, though the Indie school would be in Jan 2012.
c). I'm not sure how DS would handle this as some of the friends he has, he's known from nursery. DH thinks he'll be ok as it's only a yr before they all move on to diff secondary schs, plus move will slove the distraction prob.

Spoke to his tutor who feels it can do any harm as taking the exam will also give him an idea & experience of what the 11+ will be (though the latter would be more challenging)

I would really appreciate your honest opinion on this.
Many thanks
sherry_d

Re: Benefits of 10+

Post by sherry_d »

Maybe the mods can move this to the Indies section for you as there are few parents there who have a bit more info on Whitgift.
Impossible is Nothing.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I think this is a very reasonable route to take if you are confident that this is where you would like your son to go. The chances of gaining a place at 10+ and in particular a scholarship tend to be higher.

However if you are still considering grammar school entry then you should sit the indie 11+ with the grammar school exams so that you can make an informed choice at the time depending what your son is offered.

I don't really see any point in sitting the exam at 10+ if you are then planning on sitting the 11+ in the following year. It won't guarantee a place or scholarship at 11+ ( I have a friend who did this-offered scholarship at 10+, thought they would wait till following year, sat grammars and 11+ Whitgift-got offered a place at Whitgift but no scholarship so took grammar school place). It makes it an incredibly drawn out process for the child and the 11+ process in our area is already very protracted-obviously just my opinion
LarryB

Benefits of 10+

Post by LarryB »

Thanks for your reply surreymum, really does give us food for thought. We've been to Whitgift's Open Day and will be attending Trinity's tomorrow. I guess when you read all this stuff about Yr6 geared towards getting every child to level 4b, it makes one wonder. We are very local to Whitgift and were quite happy with what we saw. We've also had indie planned for DS all along, but will try GS's also.

I guess we'll be in a better position to decide after we've seen Trinity and then have a heart to heart with DS.

Once again thanks for taking the time to respond.
Third time round

Post by Third time round »

My Ds started at Trinity this term, he is musical which is why we chose Trinity over Whitgift. My only regret is that he didn't start a year ago. It's a great place to be and the boys who have been at school a year already already have places in the teams, bands etc, and are very confident. I think this is an advantage I didn't really think about. My son decided to stay at his primary school for year 6, he wanted to be in the top class and to stay with his friends, but to be honest all my children have found year 6 to be a bit of a lost year and I think there is much to be gained by starting in the junior forms. unless of course you want to try for a grammar school place....and then I think it's better just to do all the exams at once..it's traumatic enough as it is!
LarryB

Post by LarryB »

Many thanks 3rd time round (gosh! you sound so calm!). We went to the Open Day and as God would have it were given a tour by a lovely boy who had been through the same. He was very positive & told us a lot about why he was glad to have done his junior yr @ the school. I did have my apprehension but more & more I'm convinced (to the delight of DH) it'll be a good move for our DS.

Your reply was very encouraging, thank you :)
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Larry B

My DD1 sat the 10+ for Whitgift and Trinity in 2009. Initially we were using the exams for the 11+ GS but the nearer we got to the exam dates, we thought he could be in with a good chance of getting in. Luckily he did, we chose Trinity over Whitgift and we have no regrets. He loved it from day 1, made some really good friends in his form and had some brilliant experiences. As Third time round mentioned, some of the boys all had places in the teams (though they did get worried about the new Yr 7 boys!) and I have noticed that my DD1 and his friends have really stuck together, so far, in Yr7 even though they have been split into different forms.

I am trying to encourage DD2 to got he same route as his older brother but he is adamant that he is staying at his Primary School. I will not push it with him but I would honestly prefer for him to do his Yr6 at T or W; from what I have seen at his school, Yr6 is a bit of a waste.

Ps, my DD1 did the tour on Saturday; he told me that he told 2 families to go for Yr 6 entry as it's the best thing ever!!! :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now