Whitgift exams

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Anam

Whitgift exams

Post by Anam »

Hi, I would like DS to apply for Whitgift School in Croydon. I understand they have their own exams for 11+ . What sort of score or percentile would he need to obtain to get a place? Are there any past papers for the Whitgift 11+? Is the Whitgift 11+ comparable to any other 11+ exams? How can I find out about the academic standard of entry required for Whitgift?

Thank you
Mummyto3

Re: Whitgift exams

Post by Mummyto3 »

Did you go to their Open day? They usually have a past paper in their school pack. Their exam is similar to Trinity's. My DD1 took the exam in 2008, not sure what their pass mark is, remember they interview too so it's like having 2 bites of the cherry! Please pm me if you would like to know more. Good luck!
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

They usually test maths, English and verbal reasoning. Their English paper is usually longer than the other local schools with a 50 minute essay.
Generally speaking the odds are much higher for getting into Whitgift than the grammar schools.
There is a past paper in their pack and I suspect their admissions lady would provide you with the pack if you missed their open day.
They also do smaller tours of the school on normal school days where you are shown round in a group of about 10-these get quite booked up so I would give them a ring if you want to do it
Anam

Post by Anam »

Hi, thanks for the replies. I should have said that I need information on how to get a scholarship mark in the exam. I presume a scholarship performance in the Whitgift exam would be harder than getting a place in a grammar school near by.

Should I ask the school about bursaries, or will that put them off our application?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Anam

On the whole scholarships are given to those who perform well in the exam, they may or may not be equivalent to the local GS - I don't know the area. What you have to remember is that these days they willl not save you very much money - some are 5-10% of the fees some up to 25% - occasionally more but not often. If finances are difficult they can be topped up with bursaries which are means tested - in some schools all kids are eligible for these in others it is just those at scholarship level.

I think you should have a chat with the bursar - they may also be able to give you info about the income levels you would need to be on to get a bursary - they are often quite a bit lower than you might wish. ie on reasonably high pay (perhaps not eligible for child benefit any longer) you may also not get a bursary.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

The Whitgift foundation has a history of being more generous than others. Both the boys schools give scholarships and bursaries. The threshold for bursaries is much higher than many other schools and they welcome applications. Having said that only the top performers either academically or in sport or arts tend to get the largest bursaries.

Their scholarships have also tended to be more generous than other places. If they really want a child they will offer up to 50%, although it is far more common for them to offer a lot of children 10%. There are no special exams for the scholarships-academic ones are awarded on the basis of performance in the exams and interview-sports, art, drama have a separate assessment day.

Some of the children who get bursaries would not necessarily get into a grammar school, but usually would be gifted in another way eg sport (especially if it's Whitgift).
Generally speaking the children who get offered a scholarship at Whitgift are of grammar school standard, many of those who pass without gaining a scholarship do not get offered a grammar school place.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now