Common Entrance (13+)

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
londonmum

Re: Common Entrance (13+)

Post by londonmum »

You really need to ask the school.

CE language seems to have 4 levels, Level 4 being scholarship, and Level 3 being quite advanced. Some schools seem willing to accept Level 1 in the second language. My son did level 1 in Greek and to be honest it was not very advanced at all. (My husband decided to learn it alongside him!) You should check whether they are looking for anything specific eg French or Latin.

A prep school should know what they are doing. If you are coming from a school which does not prepare for CE I would ask for a meeting with the admissions person. They should want to be helpful, and it can be done. (I am aware of boys who did not come from prep schools who gained scholarships to both St Pauls and Westminster respectively.)
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

The languages expected for CE will be French and Latin. Most schools expect L2 Latin although the very selective expect L3 - I don't believe there is a higher level unless it is scholarship. Greek tends to only be sat by scholars who are already providing the other two languages and it is very basic as most students have only studied it for one year.
confusedparent1

Post by confusedparent1 »

thank londonmum &Waiting_For_Godot.
has anybody applied for habs boys in elstree for 13+?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now