Independent schools' interviews; are they important?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Mmm, interesting! It sounds like a risky startegy (for the School!). Do they ask for a reference letter from his existing school before the interview or his latest school report? It is a bit difficult to understand how they "screen" appropriate pupils for the interview.

INEX
guest7 wrote:I can only go on MTs 13+ experience but assume it's the same at 11. MTs interview before examinations. Boys are then given one of three letters a) a conditional offer asking them sit the exams, b) telling them they are welcome to take the exams but you might like to look at other schools which may be more suitable or c) they don't think that MTs is the right school for your son.

The interviews are important as they are the first stage to even being allowed to sit the exams. However, it's important that your child is 'himself' as it's the only way the school knows if it's the right fit. They want the child to be happy and to do well. They can also spot a child who has been coached a mile off. The boys need to take it seriously and show true enthusiasm for the school.

Boys sometimes do pass the interview and are given a conditional offer but fail the exam. Boys also sometimes fail to meet the exam criteria but are still offered a place if they have shown that certain 'spark' at interview.

As for Scholarships, you have to be recommended by your previous Head and provided you do well enough in your exams are invited to a second interview.
sj355
sj355

Re: Waiting but urgent need for decoration

Post by sj355 »

I will mention it to him; he has built up quite a monentum!
:lol: :lol:
In the meantime I "exercise" my worries at the gym!

INEX
Sally wrote:Dear Guest,

When you husband has finished painting your house do you think I can borrow him for mine? I can do a swap for my lazy bone one?
sj355

Post by Guest »

I know that not all boys who are interviewed are offered places. In my experience, (Highgate, Habs, UCS and City) they interview between 50% and 75% of those who take the exam and then make offers to approx half of those they interview.

Post by Guest »

Not that risky for the school. It's all done with consultation between the two schools. You see your prep school head, he recommends a senior school based on his knowledge of the child, you follow his recommendations, visit the senior school. If you like it and think it will suit your child, you apply. The senior school contacts the prep school and asks for reports. Your son goes for an interview and they take it from there. If you have a good Prep school Head who knows his stuff it's in no-ones best interest to disregard his recommendation. By the same token it's not in his best interests to recommend a boy who won't flourish at MTs. After that it's all down to the child. Obviously they interview more boys than they have places but many try for more than one school.
sj355 wrote:Mmm, interesting! It sounds like a risky startegy (for the School!). Do they ask for a reference letter from his existing school before the interview or his latest school report? It is a bit difficult to understand how they "screen" appropriate pupils for the interview.

INEX
guest7 wrote:I can only go on MTs 13+ experience but assume it's the same at 11. MTs interview before examinations. Boys are then given one of three letters a) a conditional offer asking them sit the exams, b) telling them they are welcome to take the exams but you might like to look at other schools which may be more suitable or c) they don't think that MTs is the right school for your son.

The interviews are important as they are the first stage to even being allowed to sit the exams. However, it's important that your child is 'himself' as it's the only way the school knows if it's the right fit. They want the child to be happy and to do well. They can also spot a child who has been coached a mile off. The boys need to take it seriously and show true enthusiasm for the school.

Boys sometimes do pass the interview and are given a conditional offer but fail the exam. Boys also sometimes fail to meet the exam criteria but are still offered a place if they have shown that certain 'spark' at interview.

As for Scholarships, you have to be recommended by your previous Head and provided you do well enough in your exams are invited to a second interview.

Post by Guest »

I see. Then it is a good thing I did not go for MT, as my son goes to a state primary school and a failing one for that matter on special measures. Anyhow we have an offer form one independent, finished the interviews with HABS and Highgate and I am now crossing my fingers for these, and even more so for QE. We could not have possibly afforded fees from as eraly as the primary school, even though we only have one child. However had I had the money I would have sent mine to a prep as well. All the best to your children on their future suceess.

INEX
Anonymous wrote:Not that risky for the school. It's all done with consultation between the two schools. You see your prep school head, he recommends a senior school based on his knowledge of the child, you follow his recommendations, visit the senior school. If you like it and think it will suit your child, you apply. The senior school contacts the prep school and asks for reports. Your son goes for an interview and they take it from there. If you have a good Prep school Head who knows his stuff it's in no-ones best interest to disregard his recommendation. By the same token it's not in his best interests to recommend a boy who won't flourish at MTs. After that it's all down to the child. Obviously they interview more boys than they have places but many try for more than one school.
sj355 wrote:Mmm, interesting! It sounds like a risky startegy (for the School!). Do they ask for a reference letter from his existing school before the interview or his latest school report? It is a bit difficult to understand how they "screen" appropriate pupils for the interview.

INEX

sj355

Post by sj355 »

Actually just found out that at 11+ MT follows the same routine as all other schools: exam first, and interview second in line with all other schools. It is for 13+ only that this is reversed.

INEX

[quote="guest7"]I can only go on MTs 13+ experience but assume it's the same at 11. MTs interview before examinations. Boys are then given one of three letters a) a conditional offer asking them sit the exams, b) telling them they are welcome to take the exams but you might like to look at other schools which may be more suitable or c) they don't think that MTs is the right school for your son.

sj355
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now