Suggestion needed on Indies for Slough Parent

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

harrow123

Suggestion needed on Indies for Slough Parent

Post by harrow123 »

My DS appearing for his 11+

I am thinking if I should send him to Indie instead of State grammar school if he gets any merit scholarship like around 50%

Any one knows any good Indies where to my DS can commute from slough like in Windsor/bucks/berks/kingston/london
supermummy

Re: Suggestion needed on Indies for Slough Parent

Post by supermummy »

Kingston grammar school (mixed) or Hampton boys might be worth a try if a little far. Hampton also run a coach service so you might want to check if there are routes running from your area.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi - "merit" or academic scholarships have dropped in percentage over the years and many are 5-20% - this can be topped up with bursaries which are income related. Best have a chat with the Bursar at the schools first.
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

Thanks for everyone, asking the same question again but now for my ds (y9 in 2013) and dd (y7 in 2011) as well

Please suggest boys/girls/mixed indies where children may be able to commute from slough

for boys: hamptons/kingston grammar/
for girls: st georges ascot/lady eleanor/abbey in reading/sir william perkins in chertsey

can not find many infact any mixed school where we can commute from slough. i think there are few in Reading that I can concentrate

Please suggest all Reading indies boys/girls/mixed then i will go through them and shortlist

Please suggest any non-Reading indies also for boys/girls/mixed where we may be able to commute from slough
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Licensed Victuallers School in Ascot is mixed and has a bus from Slough. You hear mixed opinions about it, but the people I know with DCs there have been very pleased. I think it probably isn't for the most acadmeic of children as I think it takes all comers with no entrance exam but I understand it does very well for the children that do go there - you would have to look at the schools's results though, if that is important for you.
scary mum
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

If your DS is appealing for the 11+ then it may be unlikely that he would get an academic scholarship or bursary so it may be worth looking for a cheaper independent school.
hilltop

Post by hilltop »

Have you used the search on the Independent Schools Council website?
http://www.isc.co.uk/SchoolSearch_Postc ... Search.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Claire's Court in Maidenhead is mixed from Year 7 and it gets absolutely rave reviews from parents I know whose DC attend it. I have literally never heard a bad word about it.

From what I am told, academic children are given strong support and the school's results have improved considerably in recent years. Less academic children are also extremely well catered for, and that is what seems to make the school so special - being able to manage that difficult balancing act.

It also does not have an entrance exam, just an interview. I don't know if there is a school bus service from Slough, but the journey time is a few minutes by train, and the school is within walking distance of the station.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:If your DS is appealing for the 11+ then it may be unlikely that he would get an academic scholarship or bursary so it may be worth looking for a cheaper independent school.
I think the OP meant to say sitting the 11+ ?
mad?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

mad? wrote:I think the OP meant to say sitting the 11+ ?
If that is the case, then there is St. Bernard's Prep School and Long Close School in Slough, St. Piran's in Maidenhead. They are all mixed.