Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Scholarship and timing
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:15 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:13 pm
Posts: 379
Location: Bexleyheath
DS1 has just received an offer and a small academic scholarship. They have requested that we accept the offer by 31st Jan, but he still has two more exams and interviews with results due February or march. Should I be cheeky and ask for an extension? I am thrilled he got an offer and a scholarship but timing ........ Has anyone ever gone back to the school to request an extension and/or demand more than a 10% scholarship... Sounds rather cheeky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:42 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:01 am
Posts: 155
I was offered a part-scholarship for my DD at an indie, several years ago, and I told them that I had to wait for results of the grammar school she had sat for. They accepted this and the scholarship offer was held, but only because she had come top in their entrance test; at least, that's what they told me.

I too was offered a 10% reduction and pressed for more, but was told I could only get more if I was impoverished. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:09 pm 

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am
Posts: 8598
Hi as KC says the only usual way is to add to the scholarship with a means tested bursary. Much of the spare cash of the schools goes into bursaries rather than scholarships these days.

And as for 31 st Jan ... seems very unfair particularly if you are looking at GS as well. The Indie will know this an be trying to tie you in to them before other offers are made known. tell them you want an extension - they should wait until the first week of March (I think there is generally some policy over this .... will have to hunt)

edit: found this on beechwood's website:
As the Kent 11+ selection tests will now take place in September, some independent schools have moved their 11+ entrance tests forward to the Autumn Term, and will no doubt be offering places to successful applicants soon afterwards. Whenever testing takes place, however, the regulations of the Independent Schools Council clearly state that there should be no deadline for acceptance of places before the first week of March 2011.
At Beechwood, we have therefore decided to keep our Entrance Day in January, because it fits in better with our school year. We believe that this will still give parents plenty of time to come to a decision about their child's secondary education.

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2018