HABS

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

HABS

Post by Guest »

Anyone out there get a place at HABS/North London. I know alot of well abled children and none of them got a place. What's happening? Now I'm getting worried about HBS.
Waiter

Post by Waiter »

My son got an offer for Habs received on Friday...full fee paying place.
He felt he did well in written exams and interview but we didn't get offered any scholarships.

A friend's son got offered 20% scholarship at HABS. I hear they will offer 110 - 50% if they want you badly.

We will be waiting for LEA place on Friday before deciding.
Waiter

Post by Waiter »

110 - 50%
Sorry 10-50%
I mean

Post by Guest »

It's very difficult to tell with independent schools. I feel sorry for the poor boys who go through the ordeal of exams and interview only to be rejected. It could be that they only wanted to offer places to those definitely wanting to go there. Or they only wanted those with certain extra curricula skills or talents. Who knows? Very unfair though.

Actually I think HBS is more competitive because as a state grammar, fees do not put people off. There is also no interview because it is a state school so it is on the exams alone. This is fairer to some people, to others not. I have been told that HBS standard is similar to that of independents scholarship standard. At least there is no mystery. The girls ranked highest after all four exams will get in.

Post by Guest »

Sorry I misread the original post. You meant the girls school. Actually I do know of girls who have had offers at both. Probably means that HBS will be even more competitive this year if certain applicants failed to get places at the independents. The girls I know who got in have extra curricula talents as well, such as music and sport, so perhaps that is the reason. HBS is obviously just the exams.

Post by Guest »

Actually I do know of girls who have had offers at both. Probably means that HBS will be even more competitive this year if certain applicants failed to get places at the independents.

This may well be because there's quite a number of partially selective schools in the area. Siblings who would normally only have applied to them may well be protecting themselves by applying to the independents and state selectives.

When I was at NLC the head stated that the school had not seen such high standards on entrance papers before. I must say I am surprised some children I expected to get through the first rounds did not, perhaps it will be more difficult to get places this yearbecause of the changes on the admissions code.

Post by Guest »

Actually I do know of girls who have had offers at both. Probably means that HBS will be even more competitive this year if certain applicants failed to get places at the independents.
This may well be because there's quite a number of partially selective schools in the area. Siblings who would normally only have applied to them may well be protecting themselves by applying to the independents and state selectives.

When I was at NLC the head stated that the school had not seen such high standards on entrance papers before. I must say I am surprised some children I expected to get through the first rounds did not, perhaps it will be more difficult to get places this yearbecause of the changes on the admissions code.

Post by Guest »

I must say I am surprised some children I expected to get through the first rounds did not, perhaps it will be more difficult to get places this yearbecause of the changes on the admissions code.
I thought the changes in admission codes were for Sept 08 intake - so should not make any difference to this years applicants.

Post by Guest »

Yes, many of these siblings would be capable of passing the entrance tests at grammars.
loulou

Post by loulou »

sorry maybe I'm being a bit thick . Why would there be a change in pattern in sibling applications this year. Most siblings I know Mill Hill County, DAO) have just gone staight down the 'siblings automatically get places route'.

Have I missed a trick here?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now