Habs Girls this morning

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Daogroupie

Habs Girls this morning

Post by Daogroupie »

Despite excellent arrangements for the 500 girls descending on them this morning, poor Habs girls got caught for the second year in a row by events outside their control. Last year it was snow and ice all over those tiny roads. This year it was a coke truck jackknifed over the road just outside the girls entrance. The queue was back to the A1 roundabout. A man in a suit was valiantly trying to direct traffic as there was only room for one direction at a time but as this was about 9am I really dont see how it would be possible for them to start on time. We got in before it happened but I can't see the cars up by the Barnet road getting in for another 40 or so mins. I feel for the poor girls sitting there in that long line of traffic, that was my elder dd last year. I was so grumpy she couldn't wait to leave the car and go and do some VR. The admin were just lovely though, even though the admissions officer was over an hour late herself last year. The problem is there is really nowhere to get out of the way on those roads. I think my dd's day there is going to be longer than anticipated. She had actually never been there until this morning as the open days all clashed with state exams so she has plenty of time now to get to see around! Good luck to all those girls sitting this morning. I hope they got to start before 10am. I wonder if they will reduce the numbers called back for interview this year after they over offered last year and ended up with far too many acceptances. DG
nia1999

Re: HABS girls this morning

Post by nia1999 »

DAO

Sorry to hear that .....I ve been the same for all this cycle of exams from Oct ...hoping that on the day everything runs smoothly....DD is sitting NLCS tomorrow morning and I,m already dreading the parking at the school and traffic in morning ....
chicko-mum

Post by chicko-mum »

How awful DG, why is it something happens every time you go to Habs!? :shock: Hope DD2 was not put off by the delays and she enjoys the day. Do they spoil them a bit with snacks etc?
Hope all goes well for you & DD tomorrow nia1999.
I'm beginning see light at the end of our tunnel now...
nia1999

Post by nia1999 »

Chicko Mum

Thanks for that .Yes light there just hope the lottery result on Mar 1 is the one we want !
luckydip

Re: Habs Girls this morning

Post by luckydip »

Well there was no drama getting there apart from the Coke lorry. However, when collecting in the afternoon the M1 was closed, we had to drive to a junction further down and then double back. We were about an hour late but the staff were great and looked after DD. I was thinking about your post when stuck in the traffic.... :lol:
Daogroupie

Re: Habs Girls this morning

Post by Daogroupie »

You probably were not as late as you thought you were because they did not actually start the Maths paper until 2pm so they did not come out until well past 3pm. They seemed to have far more candidates this year as they had to use the Junior hall for bringing some of them out as they did not have enough room in the main hall. Now they have built new classrooms for the seven classes they have in Year 7 as opposed to the four they have in Year 8, they may well decide to maintain the higher intake. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now