Independent shcools in middlesex

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
loulou

Post by loulou »

sj355

So sorry it was bad news especially as you were so keen on the school. Do they have a waiting list and are you on it?

Tell him people do notice what he did/does so he should be proud!!
I would like to second waiters comments about your son. To be honest it strikes me that he will do well whever, he ends up especially as he has very supportive parents .

I'll keep my fingers crossed for 1st and hope the postman brings better news.

Loulou
Jj

Post by Jj »

I have been a silent observer. Sj355, I am really sorry for your Michael especially as he was so good to mine.

Hope he is not to disappointed, but as the others have already said he will excel where ever he goes. He is very generous, has a huge heart and is obviously intelligent. He the added bonus to have wonderful supportive parents so HE WILL GO FAR!

Post by Guest »

Waiter wrote:How do the school phrase their inability to offer?
A brief form letter with the name of the boy plugged in: enjoyed meeting him, many more applications than places, sympathy for missing out after reaching the interview stage, best wishes etc. No mention of a waiting list.

My sympathies, sj355.
Waiter

Post by Waiter »

A brief form letter
Thanks for the info. A polite letter that carries disheartening news.
Quite hard to bear..parents job always the hardest,isn't it?
sj355

Post by sj355 »

To all of you,

Thank you so very-very much for your kind comments. My son is over the moon because we accepted the offer of the school that he did wanted to go to, and that has been waiting for us to decide for over a month! I have not told him about the interview outcome at HABS because he will ask what he did wrong and I have no idea. So I first find out (hopefully)and then I will mention it (perhaps) to him. But actually I am the one that fills gutted, not him, given that he felt he did so well in the exam and actually passed it and went through to the interview.

In the meantime I am now waiting with a trembling heart for the QE outcome, but I am not going to stay at home waiting for it or bother to much. I will go to work instead!

Regards and all the very best to everyone else waiting out there!
sj355
loulou

Post by loulou »

I'm glad your son is happy. Does he need to know about HABS or can you get away without telling him? I'll still keep everything crossed for 1st for you.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

SJ355,

You son will be a star - I was so impressed with how caring he was - a real credit to you - perhaps HABS was not the right school for him?
Faith

Independent shcools in middlesex

Post by Faith »

sj355

Have you checked the references from his current school - i found that a couple of school did not give an interview to my child - i suppected the reference because one told me my child the marks for an interview and a week later we got a letter saying the opposite!!

The form teacher said someting quite strange - this lead me to suppected from then that the first reference did not reflect a true picture of our child - the head also commented our child has been a A student throughout.

I asked the school nicely for a copy - head said they did not keep a copy!!!

Still waiting for reply as to what they are going to do about it. Strange thing is, there was more than one request and no copies on any.

Still quite shock that a school would send out info on their student and not keep a copy.

Still we got two offers.
sj355

Re: Independent shcools in middlesex

Post by sj355 »

The reference letter would have been very supportive. However it was from his teacher (who adores him!), not from the headteacher as the latter had just resigned as the school was put in special measures as of December. Suspect this fact may be linked to the decision of HABS. In that case, this is not the correct school for us: my son does so well despite his school, not because of his school. Anyway as I said he is happy with KAS and so is his dad. In my case I just want to confirm that he did well in the written exams (as his passed to the interview he must have) and see whether there was something disasterous he did in the interview (I doubt it!) As long as these were fine, (the academic side), I am fine and this is the end of the story. I do not care about the rest of the reasons.

Fingers crossed for the 1st, perhaps...

Have you checked the references from his current school - i found that a couple of school did not give an interview to my child - i suppected the reference because one told me my child the marks for an interview and a week later we got a letter saying the opposite!!
sj355
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Loulou and Guest 55,

My son, for all his good attributes, has a fault : he tries very-very hard to please us (and I do not know why as we have never asked him to!). Whenever the discussion of choosing a school comes, he always says that I know best and I should decide. However I had found out through other unrelated conversations how much he liked KAS. Hence in a sense he is very lucky to have been rejected, as I would have gone for HABS, and he would not have got his preference. However if I tell him about the rejection of HABS then he will be depressed because he will think that he has failed me. Hence I will now wait for the reasons behind it and then decide if, when and how I am going to tell him.

INEX
You son will be a star - I was so impressed with how caring he was - a real credit to you - perhaps HABS was not the right school for him?
sj355
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now