anyone waiting to hear from CLSG?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Brrrrrmum

Re: anyone waiting to hear from CLSG?

Post by Brrrrrmum »

Thanks Sue123.. it has actually been sent to my husbands email address!! No idea why as before all communication had come to me.. Anyway sadly no interview but just relieved that I can now relax!
:wink:
Sue123

Post by Sue123 »

I am sorry to hear that. Are you keen on the other options you applied to?
FWIW, CLSG is ferociously competitive - girls apply from all over London. My DD didn't make it to interview either but is now very happy at another North London indie. She wasn't even upset about not getting an interview at CLSG as we all felt instinctively that it wouldn't have been right for her. Don't really know why we applied except that everyone in our part of North London seems to and we were encouraged to by her primary school.
Bottom-line: your DD may have missed out by a single mark and she will likely do well and be happy at another school.
Good luck!
JGBallard

Post by JGBallard »

I second that post...again would be interesting to know how many girls are offered interviews and how many places there are? What is the ratio? ...Getting an interview is great...but it is still another hurdle and girls are out at that stage..don't know what's worse...it's not as though you would go around telling people ...my dd got to interview stage but didn't make it past that..in a way I would take that more personally.
docklands

Post by docklands »

According to their earlier email they shortlist 300 for the interview and offer places (confirmed or waitlisted) to 150.
Brrrrrmum

Post by Brrrrrmum »

Thanks for the posts.. we arnt that upset as we had already decided it wasn't the school for us. We have got an interview for South Hampstead and everyone is interviewed for Francis Holland and Godolphin so we are happy with our choices left!
I thought the statistics are 600 take exams, 300 interviewed for 150 offers with 80 eventual places. It is a wonderful school and loved the head but am very happy with our other choices and more importantly my dd is!
To be honest I got so caught up in the email wait today I lost all sense of time and place!! Goodness knows how I would have felt if I had really really wanted a place for my dd!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Sue123

Post by Sue123 »

I know three girls at FH Clarence Gate and they are all very happy there. It seems a very friendly but reasonably academic school and I really liked the head when we looked two years ago.
(Don't know anything about the other FH, I am afraid.)
Brrrrrmum

Post by Brrrrrmum »

Thanks Sue123 - have heard a lot of positives about both FH schools and SHHS/G&L so fingers crossed for DD's interviews.
JGBallard

Post by JGBallard »

Thanks for info re the amount interviewed and offered. Confused as to how they offer 150 for 80 places . Also 300 out of 600 is a shockingly large amount...to interview half of the applicants for a very competitive school doesn't seem to make sense.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I quized Diana Vernon on the numbers last year while my dd was being interviewed. She firmly believes that the interview process sifts out the tutored from the naturally bright and apparently they need the big numbers to get rid of the huge amounts of children who are taught rather than learn! They know exactly what they are looking for, what type of girls succeeds at City so they find it easy to sort out who to pick. The over offer is standard to all indy schls. Most will have sat lots of schools and even if they get all offers they can only actually go to one school. We sat nine. DG
Dexmum

Post by Dexmum »

It would be interesting to know how that differentiate the "well taught" bs the "well tutored.". My daughter's school has such good maths teaching, competitions and clubs, tutoring would be silly. My son's school has rubbish teaching and to help him achieve a bit of extra help is needed and everyone does it.