What do you do if you don't get all your dd desired schools?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Believingmum

What do you do if you don't get all your dd desired schools?

Post by Believingmum »

I know this is a very sensitive question after all the hardwork we've all put into 11+.
I am just wondering wht happens if you don't get your desired schoool? Will some indie school offer late admisiions?

Please advice
hermanmunster

Re: What do you do if you don't get all your dd desired scho

Post by hermanmunster »

Plenty of indies will have places after March 1st.
They have offered to kids who are holding the places as insurance and will reject them after the LEA allocations come out, so they will have spaces.

if you are in this situation, whether or not you are appealing - it is worth ringing around to see what the situation is at schools you are interested in.
Believingmum

Post by Believingmum »

Is it worth waiting for the results before ringing them or call them after March 1st?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Well difficult really - phone lines to indies can be bit hot in the first week of March.... however they won't know now if they are going to have places :? :?

If you try phoning now - best to ask about admission in September - say you are considering their school as heard it was good for languages or whatever and you think it may suit your DD better than the local state schools - don't say you don't think you'll get your choices at the state schools!!!

They may well invite you to look round (and will try and get more info out of you) - the visits are generally very nice (they are keen to get people) and very interesting. I went to a school when DS was in year 4 - thought I might be moving to the area, were there 2 hours - very nice individual tour , tea and cakes - lot of input considering we were so far off applying at that time.
If they offer a visit - go.
Believingmum

Post by Believingmum »

Thanks hermanmunster , I am just wondering whether DD will need to sit exams for those schools again after March.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

My DD goes to an indie school (she is now in Year 10) and we applied for a place after allocations day. Unfortunately, we didn't get any of our four choices which is why we decided to go down this route. The indie school were very willing to show us round; I had a tour of the school whilst my DD was sitting the entrance exam. Not ideal I know, but everything was a bit of a rush after allocations day. The principal rang me the following day to say that she could offer us a place. Some indie schools lead you to believe that they have a long waiting list when you make enquiries but, in fact, several months later they are still advertising spaces. The important thing is not to be rushed into making a decision if you decide on an indie school.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Believingmum wrote:Thanks hermanmunster , I am just wondering whether DD will need to sit exams for those schools again after March.
yes they do tend to have exams but they are often for "late entrants" and are hence less hectic affairs than the main exam days
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now