awaiting those letters....

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

W14mum

awaiting those letters....

Post by W14mum »

I just phoned one of the (3) schools my DS set. The letters were posted last night. So sick. Can not concentrate (at work now). I wish it was not like this... :?
CoolMum5

Re: awaiting those letters....

Post by CoolMum5 »

It's absolutely awful isn't it?
Our son will do the last of his interviews on Friday and we will then have to wait until the end of February to hear whether he has a place or not.
Wishing you and your DS lots of luck. I hope it's good news...
W14mum

Post by W14mum »

Thanks CoolMum5, wishing you too all the best with the interviews

yes... we said we will let the DS open the letters (his preference). But I just feel like going home and having a little peek...

and of course even getting an interview is not the end of it... I recall my daughter two years ago getting an interview letter for 7+ (at the only school she sat then), and then all of us feeling deflated when she got the letter 'we are unable to offer a place....' (she then got a letter shortly after with an offer of a place!)

Oh, I will go and make myself another cup of the Chinese Tea.... 8)
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

It's a horrible time having to wait. Despite any agreement with your child, to let them be the one to open any letters...I would strongly advise that you have a peek first. I know it's dishonest, but, if it's bad news, you have the chance to prepare yourself and you are prepared for your child's possible upset. I always imagine the potential scene where several family members might be crowded around the child, eagerly encouraging them to open the envelope, grinning faces, asking questions such as 'well, what does if say??' then the poor child has the added stress of breaking the bad news to others too.
I have done this for both my children. The pleasure of sharing their good news was not reduced by my knowing in advance and it could have pre warned me - you wouldn't invite relatives around and deck the house with streamers and balloons (i saw one family do just that AND it was on a documentary about the 11+. Luckily the child was offered a place!
Good luck. X
CoolMum5

Post by CoolMum5 »

Ed's Mum - we always try and be really honest with our son - but your suggestion is something we discussed doing as well, you know - sneaking a peek first. I think you're right and it's great advice. The only problem is - our little man is going to be on half-term and he will probably be camped out in the hall waiting for the letter to drop!
I am trying to keep really busy and am planning lots of fun activities for half-term. Perhaps I can wear him out so that he's still asleep when the postie arrives!!! :D
emmalulu

Post by emmalulu »

coolmum im exactly the same
worried sick about the post on the 25th of feb now and and as you say its half term !!
i keep imagining all sorts of things - happy news where we are celebrating or sad news where i disappear upstairs for a long cry !!
this is awful !! its too long and i can't stop stressing about it
dh has had enough and i can't say the school word any more !!!
oh to breathe again
x
zorro

Post by zorro »

I think if it had gone any longer DH and I would not still be married :roll:
emmalulu

Post by emmalulu »

zorro i know exactly what you mean !! :roll:
zorro

Post by zorro »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nearly had to join AA too! (Not the motoring organisation, the other one!!!!)
mad?

Post by mad? »

I do feel for you all. I was in this situation last year (I suspect with some of the same schools as W14) and I can't tell you what a relief it is not to be there again now! Good luck to you all. W14, I admire you. If I had had that convesation I would have been on the tube home in a nanosecond!
mad?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now