Acceptance deadlines for London indies

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
docklands

Acceptance deadlines for London indies

Post by docklands »

We are waiting to hear from 4 indies and acceptances for two of them will be expected only a day or two after we hear from the other two. Also, open mornings for offer holders at the two schools are scheduled for after the deadline for the first two. Is anyone else in the same situation? How are you going to deal with it?
pepys

Re: Acceptance deadlines for London indies

Post by pepys »

Had this last year, where one indie acceptance date was on the day another offer was due and our post always arrives in the afternoon. Although DS pretty much knew which school he wanted if offers were equal, (the level of scholarship offered was a major factor with 3 DS's to plan for) I had to drive to his school get him out of class and tell him that he had received an offer - speak to the headmaster for his view, drive home all within an hour of the deadline. Luckily I had rung the preferred school the previous day to see if a scanned acceptance was enough for them, they were willing to accept our acceptance over the phone. Overwise I would have driven in the opposite direction to deliver it personally.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I am quite sure that all the schools know very well that they are pushing for early acceptance from people who are still waiting for results - it is a way of filling the places and, I think, quite unfair.

Not sure how far you can push it, certainly a friend did (not in London) - was being pushed very hard for acceptance of a scholarship while waiting for other results. She told them that the child had worked hard for the exams, they knew that the results were not yet out, and that they could wait until they were and the family could make an informed choice. I think she also felt that if the school did not wait (and hence respect the work the child had done) then she didn't want her to go there. Result was they waited - actually I am sure she was not the only one.
docklands

Post by docklands »

Thank you very much for your tips. We expect the first offer/thank you letter to arrive tomorrow, so I will start calling the schools on Monday.
bethany

Post by bethany »

How did you get on with contacting the schools re your clashing deadlines for acceptances? We also have only a weekend to make final decisons as acceptances for 3 of our indies are on the Monday am with the final possible offer only coming in on the previous Thursday - and thats by email so could be late afternoon before we even receive it!

Also the open day for that one is after the deadlines for the other 3.

Don't really want to making a rushed decision so are having to think about plan A for the first 3 schools, then wait for GS, then for final indie and try to slot that into priority with all the others. So complicated and stressful!! :x
docklands

Post by docklands »

The schools know of the situation. In the past all indies had deadline for acceptances at either the end of the first week of March or the first Monday of March, but North London Consortium broke ranks this year. I suggest you ring the schools and explain, they might be able to wait an extra day or two.

Bethany, I agree this is hard! It's all well saying 'I know which school I'd prefer and can rank them in order of preference' but what do you do if the school you are keenest on has only waitlisted you? What about scholarships? Also, DD would really like to go to the open mornings before making the choice. Well, we wait for the letters and than see.