Would you tell the head teacher?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

docklands

Would you tell the head teacher?

Post by docklands »

If your child was treated appallingly at an interview, would you write to the head about it? At the time of this happening we were too busy focusing on other interviews/ auditions/ tests we had to attend, but now looking back at the process I still feel angry at the two adults interrogating a 10 year old and nearly reducing her to tears. This happened at one of the less academic schools, to which we applied as a back-up. In contrast, DD enjoyed her interviews with all other schools and at one of the more competitive schools (with a hot-house reputation) she emerged out of the room laughing and smiling broadly.

DD is confident and outspoken, she is used to speaking to adults and has quite a bit to say for herself. However, the interview was conducted in such an unfriendly manner that she felt intimidated, stressed and worried. She had a music audition at another school later that day and was refusing to go (by the way, after quite a bit of crying she went, played really well and was offered a music scholarship). Worst of all is that they didn't manage get any idea of who DD is because they didn't let her open up to them. They didn't give her a chance to properly answer her questions and hence would not be able to properly assess her.

I really couldn't care less of the outcome of that interview since we've already received offers from schools which are higher on our wish list, but I am not sure if I should be letting the school know that I think it is unacceptable to treat a child like that. Would you bother?
joop

Re: Would you tell the head teacher?

Post by joop »

Yes, I would write a letter.

If I was the head teacher I would want to know if my staff were interrogating potential pupils to the school. Also you would hope that they review their practice of interviewing to ensure that they get the best out of children and ensure that it is a positive experience for each child. If they do not get feedback the head cannot do anything about it.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Yes, I too think you should write to the head.

You have nothing to lose, as you have already been offered others schools for your dd.

Make it plain to him it's not sour grapes and that you have taken up the other offer. Put it in very plain English exactly what happened. People such as these should not be interviewing anyone, especially children!

You may save some other poor children from going through such a harrowing experience.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes, absolutely I would. If you liked the school you owe it to them to let them know that they are losing good people by this technique. They are all so anxious to ferret out the overtutored children that in same cases they clearly overdo it. I am sure if they were to see a video of their own performance they themselves would be horrified. They are just trying to do their jobs but have gone too far and this needs to be called out. I have always provided feedback to schools and they always seem glad to hear it, though what they say behind my back is another matter entirely! DS
bethany

Post by bethany »

Yes I would! That is an awful way to treat children! Luckily by the sounds of it you weren't relying on a good outcome from this school, but many others will be. I think any school worth their weight would want to get the best from candidates, not reduce them to tears.

A less confident child might have been much more affected by an experience like this. It sounds as if your DD has been able to brush it off more or less and has clearly done brilliantly at her other schools.

Our DC have been under incredible stress with all these exams etc. and I imagine that they go into these inteviews nervous but hopeful, having passed the exam element. How awful to then have the stuffing completely knocked out of them by not just one but two intimidating teachers. It would be enought to put my DD completely off a school if she was treated like that and it would certainly make me question whether that is the kind of school I would want my DD to attend.

Let us know how you get on!
docklands

Post by docklands »

Thanks for your replies everyone. I really don't think that their interview technique has anything to do with trying to establish the amount of tutoring DCs got. In fact, DD would have done better at that interview if she was tutored for it (like memorising questions and answers). We did not tutor her knowing that she is a natural, but we simply did not expect such an aggressive style of interviewing. Funnily enough, the 'hot-house' schools were very friendly, they spend the first few minutes 'easing' into the interviews and DD was totally relaxed and happy when she finished.

I will write to the school, but only after this madness is over and we have accepted a place somewhere else.
docklands

Post by docklands »

I am still fuming, so will wait a few days before writing. It just makes my blood boil thinking about DD sitting there being questioned by those people and desperately trying to be a good girl and provide answers. If I had that in a job interview I'd walk out after 3 minutes of it.
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

I have only heard of one person whose child got a grilling and was really upset by it. It turned out that it was a scholarship exam and she did get offered one. Needless to say the child refused to go there in the end.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now