Would you pretend your child has been accepted to a school

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
stevew61

Re: Would you pretend your child has been accepted to a scho

Post by stevew61 »

DS1, a few years ago, was very reluctant to put in the hard work for entrance exams as none of his class mates were trying for selective schools, they were in secret!

One of DS1's arguments was the fear of public failure so I suggested that if he did not succeed I would back him up in saying he had been offered a place but turned it down :oops: that overcame his argument, the real plan was after the exams to switch to a close miss and on the waiting list whiter lie. :oops:

Once the competitive phase is over, then everyone can move on and get on with making the best of their next school. :)
la boume

Post by la boume »

What about the register? Surely the teacher does that at the very beginning of the day? what happened to the child then?
sorry forgot to quote Huntlie
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

You would think so, but in this school things were chaotic at the time - about 1500 in a building meant for 800. Once a child has been theoretically 'accepted,' teachers in various classes just assume she is an addition, and write her in. In this case, it was only spotted when an alert English teacher asked why she was not on the list, why she had to be added, and the child burst into tears. This happened on the Monday, after term had begun on the previous Wednesday. Meantime the kid had joined netball club, hockey club, Art club...
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Was the child allowed to stay though? :shock:
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

huntlie wrote:This actually happened some years ago - child showed up in full uniform, got through 3 days with no one noticing she was not on list. When parents were hauled in, they said 'You can't take her away now,she's made friends. She belongs here.'

Poor child.
la boume wrote:What about the register? Surely the teacher does that at the very beginning of the day?
Schools can be very chaotic well into the year. I have a friend whose son was on the waiting list for a grammar and in the meantime they accepted a place at a Comprehensive. He got the grammar school offer in the summer holidays and the parents contacted the other school (which was the most sought after Comp and had a waiting list) to let them know.
Thought no more about it until the end of October (7 weeks into the school term) when the Comp sent them a letter complaining that they had not paid for his viola lessons! No mention of the fact that he had not been at his viola lessons - or any other lessons - since the beginning of term!
docklands

Post by docklands »

Even more stories for DM!
mad?

Post by mad? »

docklands wrote:Even more stories for DM!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
mad?
optimisticmom

Post by optimisticmom »

Catonhottinroof, I love your plan, it's hilarious!! Yes, I understand why people would do this, as some are all out to protect their kids and others feel ashamed somewhat..each to there own. It is a bit sad though if you take it to the extreme of buying a uniform and attending classes and then being hauled out of the class....my, what kind of complex would that child have???

We are certainly living in desperate times which are leading to desperate measures!!

How we all set for March 1st?? I'm fighting hard not to take leave of my body and come back at 5.00p.m on Tuesday the 1st........heeeeeeeeelp!!
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

No, the child was not allowed to stay. She had 'passed' the 11+ but was one of about 400 who had done so but not quite high enough. She had to begin at another school, two bus rides away from home. Not sure what became of her - this was when my own kids were young, 20 years ago.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

In my DD's class there is a girl's name on the register who has not been in class since day one 5 years ago!! The running joke is that if something goes wrong and the teacher asks who did it, the whole class says it must be her!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now