Drama Scholarships.What are they looking 4? Good drama class

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
supermum2

Re: Drama Scholarships.What are they looking 4? Good drama c

Post by supermum2 »

Hello

My DS just landed 2 Drama scholarships for independent schools. He has been with an agent since age 4 and has done several professional bits of work. However what actually gave him the edge was the fact that he does LAMDA and was able to use one of his practised monlogues at the audition.

I havent read all the response but it would be good to get an agent so that he can have a couple of jobs under his belt. local theatre and pantomime is also very good.

If you details on agents drama etc please feel free to ask. I have probably been in this game for too long but if your dc loves drama there confindence will help them fly through the interview.

Good luck
All I need now is wings!
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

If he is musical then you could apply to a choir school. These schools also tend to be big on drama too but the good thing about drama is that you can come to it at any age (I won a partial scholarship to RADA at 18 with no formal training, having started acting at 16) which is not generally true for music. I would focus on the music at this stage and keep up with the drama but not at the exclusion to all else and DS will not get a drama scholarship at 7 but will get a choir scholarship.
OrganicGreen

Post by OrganicGreen »

supermum2 wrote:Hello

My DS just landed 2 Drama scholarships for independent schools. He has been with an agent since age 4 and has done several professional bits of work. However what actually gave him the edge was the fact that he does LAMDA and was able to use one of his practised monlogues at the audition.

I havent read all the response but it would be good to get an agent so that he can have a couple of jobs under his belt. local theatre and pantomime is also very good.

If you details on agents drama etc please feel free to ask. I have probably been in this game for too long but if your dc loves drama there confindence will help them fly through the interview.

Good luck

My partner does ammeture dramatics so my son when he get a bit older can get a few parts there. He also does LAMDA and we are looking for a new LAMDA teacher who can encourage him more to speak well. Thank for the advice of using his LAMDA work during interview time.
REad, Read and read some more. Learning is nothing but fun
supermum2

Post by supermum2 »

Also ensure that he finds a monologue that he really enjoys..

Good lucks
All I need now is wings!
OrganicGreen

Post by OrganicGreen »

supermum2 wrote:Also ensure that he finds a monologue that he really enjoys..

Good lucks
Thanks for the advice
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Hope you don't mind me saying but I would not look at Westminster Abbey Choir School if you are interested in the drama route. It only has around 33 boys in the whole school so cannot offer drama on the same level that another choir school could.
OrganicGreen

Post by OrganicGreen »

Thanks for the information.
We have a local private school that offers drama scholarships so we are looking to go for this school as we want our son to attend a local school..
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now