independent v state.....all that glistens!!!!!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
just j

Re: independent v state.....all that glistens!!!!!

Post by just j »

arachne wrote:I feel mean about saying this .. a bit ..but I think it's 'all that glisters is not gold' not glistens.
I have three children at the same school and all of them have different views of it. It's hard to make the right choice with all the best research in the world and some times we get it it wrong. I am glad it has been put right in this case but I would agree that it is luck if you have an alternative if your child is not in the ideal place and you need to move them.Not everyone does have that option.
If you felt mean saying it then why bother :roll: The ' alternative ' is the local high school,( and no, its not a very good one) not in a GS area so not as fortunate as all the parents banging on about which school should they accept offer from.
p.s. kindness costs nothing and arrogance is always ugly!
just j

Post by just j »

CoolMum5 wrote:Sorry to say but I agree with Godot on this one. It seems that this was not a suitable choice of indie for your child. I have some friends who are not very happy with their choice of grammar school but no one we know has a problem with their indie. I must admit - this is why we didn't get our DS tutored - he's in a state school so I got him some VR books for him - but that was it - because we wanted him to be able to keep up once he got to the selective school of choice (and not be stressed). Glad it all turned out well for you though.
I wish I had had the choice of Grammer School but not in GS area.!! My child was not tutored and has never even heard of VR books. He has natural ability, and never struggled with the work, just hated the place.
just j

Post by just j »

hermanmunster wrote:justj, well done on making the decision!-
it is so very difficult to see ones child upset and unhappy, I think the easy option is often to assume things will get better - but they don't always. Fortunately you had another option!!! Not everyone has a choice of schools ...

The school was obviously very keen to have your DC, did you manage to have a chat with them about the problems and why you were making the move? Did they try and help?
Thanks Herman. My other option was the local high school, I certainly did not have a choice of other schools.
just j

Post by just j »

sherry_d wrote:This thread sounds very much like the one where the OP was damaged by 11+ :roll:

Whats the point of registering just to start this thread???

Just another pointless thread in my opinion...sorry but this deserves to be in rehab.
I did not register just to start this thread :evil: My son has not been damaged at all thank you. Just because a thread is of no interest to you does not make it pointless. How rude of you !!!!!
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Just as I thought then, you chose the wrong school. Why would you chose a school that finished so late when you still expected DC to work on the farm and continue with his musical activities. The poor lad was not overworked by school but in every aspect of his life it seems. :(
yogkruti

Post by yogkruti »

"My child, like most farmers children, works everyday after school, also has daily music practice, band practice 3 times a week and orchestra once a week..."

:shock:

With all that and studies (plus travel) any child will have a problem... doesn't matter a state or indie.

Wish you and family well and hope everything turns all right finally (it usually does :) )
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:Just as I thought then, you chose the wrong school. Why would you chose a school that finished so late when you still expected DC to work on the farm and continue with his musical activities. The poor lad was not overworked by school but in every aspect of his life it seems. :(
Tell me WFG, do you think you have ever made the wrong choice of school?

I expect justj was really rather too busy on the farm to be preoccupied with years of looking at schools and finding out about them.

I work in some highly rural farming areas in both there is only one local school, there also may be the choice of one indie further away but it is only ever one ...
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I just find the original post very misleading. The OP came on to say don't waste your money (further post) because it's not all it's cracked up to be, and gave the impression it could be detremental to a childs health because of the physical requirements that an inde may put on a child. Some schools do take over a child's life during term time but these schools tend to offer all extra-curricular subjects on site. I would have been better to have worked with the school and given up working on the farm and doing his musical activities until he had developed enough stamina to cope with the day.
just j

Post by just j »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:I just find the original post very misleading. The OP came on to say don't waste your money (further post) because it's not all it's cracked up to be, and gave the impression it could be detremental to a childs health because of the physical requirements that an inde may put on a child. Some schools do take over a child's life during term time but these schools tend to offer all extra-curricular subjects on site. I would have been better to have worked with the school and given up working on the farm and doing his musical activities until he had developed enough stamina to cope with the day.
He did stop all work on farm and all music! The "Poor Lad" has a wonderful life, the envy of many. He has a great home/school balance. It must be great being you. I hope your children dont turn out the same.
Snorter

Post by Snorter »

just j

I note the long hours your DC was travelling, is the current school as far away? How much did the travelling contrubute to the unhappiness in your opinion?

My daughter is due to start at an independent school in Sept and her day looks equally as long.