Why is everyone giving me such a hard time?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bromley mum

Why is everyone giving me such a hard time?

Post by bromley mum »

Thet are all jealous!! Forget about them and enjoy your DC's success!
Chilled

Re: Why is everyone giving me such a hard time?

Post by Chilled »

I can't tell you much about the girls school but I have 2 friends with boys at Habs and they are both very happy with it, neither family is the remotest bit stuck up. They are just ordinary families who work hard to send their DS's to an Indie. You should be very proud of your DD and ignore other people's comments. I hope your DD will be really happy there.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

doingmybest wrote:Someone could send their DC to Feltham Young Offenders Institute and I would find something positive to say about it - probably "I hear its really good on discipline".
Make friends with Doingmybest. :D
Seriously ignore the comments - may well be jealousy.
I have friends who have made school choices that wouldn't be mine but I still can manage to keep supportive of them as people.I may express a lot of opinions about the school system/politics etc on this forum but on a day to day level, I know we are all making choices within an imperfect system and people's choices should be respected, and supported if they are your friends.
Mine go to a grammar , not quite the same prestige , but even then I get lots of comments about hothousing/anorexics etc.I just say "my experience has been really positive" and smile sweetly. :D
dduck

Post by dduck »

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply. I think I get the gist - I need new friends!!! To be honest those who have made sarcastic comments are actually acquaintances but I found it odd that so many of them made similar comments. At first I took it to be that they were simply jealous but after a while I became slightly paranoid and actually shied away from telling people where my dd was going.

But as you say - onwards and upwards - hope all your DCs have/are having a great experience wherever they go.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

We had same sort of experience last year, we congratulated those who had simply ticked a box to get a school but not one word for us. We have new friends now! DG
CoolMum5

Post by CoolMum5 »

dduck - so sorry to hear that you have had such an unsupportive response from those around you. We chose Habs for our DS and most people have told us how very lucky we are! I spoke to a very close friend last night, incidentally, whose son is now in year 11 and both she and her DH are absolutely thrilled with the school and say that other parents are as well - so try not to worry. As someone has said before, I think it's a case of the green-eyed monster - and if people are jealous then there's not much you can do except ignore the negativity. We decided only to tell those people who asked us, as we did not want to appear as if we were gloating and I think this has really helped. There were a couple of mums who were miffed about our choice but we didn't lose any sleep over them - I can assure you :wink: . You should be really proud of your DS because it was really hard to get into Habs this year (this comes from the Head not me) as there were a record number of applicants and some really strong candidates. Lots of luck to your DS and well done to you too x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now