Select Indie school -Reading

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Eraldo

Select Indie school -Reading

Post by Eraldo »

Hi
I am thinking of going for Independent schools in Reading for my DS- finally stuck with 2 schools – Leighton park and Reading Blue school? All ideas/suggestions/ views about both schools are welcome. Please help me to select one school from the above schools.
Many Thanks
Eraldo
suncrest

Re: Select Indie school -Reading

Post by suncrest »

Hi Eraldo,

These are two very different schools you have chosen. RBCS is all boys (girls in 6th form only) LP is co-ed. LP has Quaker ethos, RBCS Christian(ish). 2 very different settings - one by River Thames, one in center of Reading. RBCS notably harder to get in to from entrance exam. Difference in fees. Difference in results. Different ethos.

Don't know what else to say really - you have obviously visited both schools to home in on them being right for your DS, but as they are so different then only you as a parent will know the one most suited to your son.

Good luck
Eraldo

Post by Eraldo »

Hi Suncrest
Many Thanks for your reply. It is v standard and well explained.
As a parent we generally know about the schools so not sure which one will be best.
we know about our DS- he is quiet, workhard, brilliant,religious, sensitive, shy,physically not v sportive but good in chess and wants to achieve academically well-he knows what he wants to be .
So I prefer a school which encourages well in his studies and achievement.
But by general ideas about the schools am finding difficult to select a school.
So please help me to find a school by giving more ideas about the schools based on my DS charcters.
Thanks
Eraldo
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

All I can suggest is that you visit the schools on numerous occasions - go to all the open days and also have a private tour and ask to see the heads and tell them about your DSs characteristics and ask what they have that can inspire /suit him and his needs. That is really the only way to choose a school and after all it is an expensive 'purchase' you will be making - the same price as a house, so go and look around as much as you can, do research and 'survey'. Also both schools should be able to put you in touch with a current parent who will talk to you about the school, this could be someone who is on the PA or it could be a parent of a new pupil.....this is always useful.
darell

Post by darell »

Hello Eraldo, two lovely schools that produce lovely polite, confident and ambitious boys and girls , I agree with Suncrest, and add the following:

Leighton Park-known for excellent pastoral care and espousing (highly inclusive and gentle) Quaker values, higher number of overseas students, no CCF, significantly higher fees, does International Bacc, no uniform, fully co-ed, has boarders, smaller classes. Would be considered to have a very holistic approach . I've always assumed, perhaps wrongly, it's a smaller school than Bluecoat.

Reading Blue Coat-excellent Head, perceived to have a much harder entrance exam, strong on academics, arts and and sport (inc. rowing), uniform until 6th form, co-ed for A levels only (but very small number of girls in 6th form), no IB.

They are both excellent schools with beautiful grounds, and I imagine that your son will be very happy in either-I have friends with boys in both. You may also wish to factor in the journey and your son's views, and plan B if you choose Bluecoat and he doesn't get in. I appreciate that you've already narrowed it down, but assuming your DS is Y5, have you looked at the Oratory?
cestlavie

Post by cestlavie »

Our DS1 will start at Blue Coat this September. We also considered Leighton Park and liked both when we visited on the open days. Our decision was based on a number of factors - Blue Coat has higher academic standards (you can download all the results from the newly released government statistics and do a direct subject-by-subject comparison) which suited our DS1, it is an easier daily journey for us, the fees are substantially lower and DS1 liked it the best. DS felt the exam was as tough as the grammar, the verbal reasoning was particularly time pressured (100 qns in 45 minutes, standard format not multiple choice). There were 200+ boys taking it for 96 places though I don't know how many places they offer at the first round (quite a few, like ourselves, use it as a back-up for the grammar so I think they offer more than the places available).

In relation to your own son, it might be helpful for you to know that at the interview we were shown around by a sixth-former who the head of year later told us was painfully shy when he first arrived. He seemed perfectly comfortable and relaxed showing us around so I think all personalities flourish in schools with good pastoral support, which I suspect both of these schools have.
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

I appreciate that you've already narrowed it down, but assuming your DS is Y5, have you looked at the Oratory?
I would second what Darell has written:- Oratory definitely worth putting in the equation. Lovely school, brilliant head, (huge fees!), beautiful setting...
Eraldo

Post by Eraldo »

Hi All
Thank you v much for all your ideas and suggestions. I live in west reading so which do you all think journey will be easy –Leighton or Blue coat?
cestlavie

Post by cestlavie »

Have a look on their websites, both have school bus routes in that direction but it depends where you are in West Reading. If you're planning to do the driving then I'd have thought that Leighton Park would be closer in terms of traffic times but you should try out the route one weekday morning/evening to find out.

You can of course delay the decision and apply for more than one school, those two schools have their entrance exams at about the same time (January). It is generally advisable to have at least one back-up option in case you don't get offered a place at your first choice school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now