11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pepys

Re: Fee Increase / Recession

Post by pepys »

We had a whopping 10% last year, can't wait to get this years envelope :!:
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

pepys wrote:We had a whopping 10% last year, can't wait to get this years envelope :!:
Poor you! That is quite awful. I just hope we don't have that kind of increase to look forward to ourselves.
chardom

Post by chardom »

Got a letter from DS's school today saying that due to current economic climate no fee increase this year and was just breathing a sigh of relief when I read the last paragraph which stated that from September all day pupils will be required to have school lunches at a cost of £645 per school year. :shock: As DS currently has packed lunches we are looking at a rather large increase next year, but those parents whose DC's already have school lunches will be smiling tonight. We are on a very tight budget and are already facing a fee increase as DS is moving from middle to senior school in September, and fees are £500 a year more then, which we had already allowed for and are happy to pay. However I can't help feeling quite aggrieved about being forced to pay for school lunches when DS doesn't even want them and has asked can he still take a packed lunch! Phoned the school today who said that he can do this but we will still have to pay for the lunches he won't even be eating! :evil:
Will be writing to the school to express my annoyance about this matter but suspect we will get nowhere and may have to start looking at alternatives for September which doesn't fill me with joy. :cry:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

basically they have increased the fees and including lunch in it - bit of a cheek I think.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Agree with Hermanmunster, this really is a cheek. If the school were genuinely thinking about the current economic climate they would not be charging such a high amount of money for school dinners and to say that you have to pay them regardless...
chardom

Post by chardom »

I think you are right hermanmunster! Would have been fairer to raise fees for all pupils by maybe £50-£75 per year rather than targeting a small number of parents whose DC's currently have packed lunch. DS tells me that only 4 children out of 27 in his year group bring their own lunch and I feel we are being unfairly penalised by a 'back-door' fee increase!! :evil: I only hope that I'm not the only parent at school to feel this way!
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Could you tell the school that this large increase on top of the £500 you have already allowed for has tipped you over into not being able to afford the fees any more, so you will have to consider moving DS? You could even back it up by handing in provisional notice for him in case they are tempted not to take you seriously - you can always withdraw it later. (Maybe best not to do this if it is a heavily oversubscribed school with a waiting list.)
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Shocked at the boat house, the 10% (what was the justification?) :shock: and the lunches!!! :faintemoticon: But the boat house is really shocking - what planet are they on, and all for a tiny 5% of the school who choose boating as an extra-curric! :evil:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

agreed re the boat house..... best to keep the fee increase as low as possible and have fund raising for the boat house - much fairer and a VLE I think (valuable learning experience that is)
chardom

Post by chardom »

Thanks for the advice KES parent! Was still contemplating what to put in my letter but your idea is great and is not too far from the truth anyway!! Will cry if we have to move him over a silly thing like lunches as its a good school and he is doing realy well there. :cry: Just hope they are prepared to be flexible!