Aldenham or Mill Hill

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
snowedunder

Re: Aldenham or Mill Hill

Post by snowedunder »

Thats really the problem, Mill Hill didn't change my mind about Aldenham its just given us
more choice for a coed private (not hot house) school. My main reasons for Aldenham were
having the feeling it was a good mix of backgrounds which I would want for DD as we are by
no means wealthy but I would probably need to hear from more people about the snobiness
at Mill Hill to think it more than an isolated case, it can probably go on at all private schools to some
degree. The education and facilities at both are excellent. I just feel I need to attend them both for a month
to get the nitty gritty! Not going to happen so if you hear anymore on the grapevine please let me know. Distance is similar for both about half an hour by car, a bit longer on the coach.
zorro

Post by zorro »

That is an example, not an isolated case - I know of several more!
In fact a boy in my son's year lives almost next door to Mill Hill and his mum didn't send him there for that very reason - it's quite a well known problem
Do you want a faith school? Aldenham has a strong Christian ethos, they have Chapel 3 times a week. My son went to C/E primary, so we really wanted a similar secondary school.
It is a small school and seems to have a real family feeling which we really like. Basically I think you should get a real gut feeling about which school is right - a bit like buying a house!
zorro

Post by zorro »

I have just looked at the fees and in fact, Aldenham is slightly more expensive from 13 onwards, so I retract that!
I think looking at the website, Mill Hill has better facilities, buildings etc while both schools have lovely grounds. However, I think a school is more than plush buildings - difficult choice!
tense

Post by tense »

What does your DD think?

(Some posters are horrified by the idea a DC should have a say. But it sounds as if you are impressed with both schools so wouldn't really mind either).
zorro

Post by zorro »

What a novel idea tense - letting the child have a say!! :lol: :lol:
snowedunder

Post by snowedunder »

Yes I am just waiting for that gut feeling to happen but so far zip. I have been asking DD as we go along which schools she liked, I do know they tend to judge on pretty superficial things and she had not even wanted to go to see Mill Hill as she was so set on Aldenham but came away saying Mill Hill. I know she liked our guide alot, the pottery room and general layout ect but if she was told about snobiness that would be another matter. I know there will be alot of nice normal parents and chilldren but I need to know which is in the majority. More comments greatly appreciated.
Dustylaw

Post by Dustylaw »

May I suggest you look at this in a different way? At this stage, be pleased with yourselves for having found two schools which you and your daughter like so much. Apply to both. You'll either get an offer for only one in which case thank heavens you liked both of them. Or you'll get an offer for both in which case only then do you have to decide. By that stage you will have a far better feeling for the differences between the two and which one you/your daughter might prefer. There will be plenty of pressure to come so don't put yourselves under unnecessary pressure at this early stage. Really, you are ahead of the game in having two choices already so relax!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Well said Dustylaw!Quite often the admissions process decides for you!
snowedunder

Post by snowedunder »

How funny I just said those words to someone " I may not have a decision to make"! So maybe I should start
worrying will she get one - not really! I shall chill you are so right and thanks for all the input to you all.
Happy to receive anymore advice as new to all this.
Sportsmad

Post by Sportsmad »

Hi Snowedunder - Mill Hill mum here. A bit startled to hear about how 'snobby' the school is and also that apparently 'everyone knows that'??? I am sure in a school of 700 souls there may well be some snobs lurking there somewhere but I can categorically say it is a very nice normal school with extremely down to earth parents. Loads of different backgrounds that I personally know of from doctors, accountants, lawyers and business people to a sprinkly of creative types.

There may be perfectly good reasons for you to prefer Aldenham over Mill Hill but honestly snobbery should not be one of them.