Hampton 10+ pros, cons and prep?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
menagerie

Hampton 10+ pros, cons and prep?

Post by menagerie »

Hi,

We're considering sitting DS for Hampton 10+. He won't have had any external tutoring by then. (Have a tutor booked from Jan) but we've done some papers with him, his scores are good, his maths is reasonable. English composition needs some attention but I'm confident we can work on that.

What prep is required for Hampton 0+? And if he does get in, do we have to accept then, or can we hold the place open but defer until he's also sat for RGS/Kings and other local indies.
Susan

Re: Hampton 10+ pros, cons and prep?

Post by Susan »

I see that no one has replied to you yet. Perhaps my anecdotal information might help.

We have been through the Hampton admissions process but not at 10+. Another Mum I knew did put her boy in for the 10+, from a local junior school. He was successful. The boy was intellectually curious, very bright and the family were academically inclined, incl. no TV. He remained at the local school for yr 6 as Hampton don't have a prep form.

From my experience I'm not sure that they would hold a place open because it is possible to reapply at 11+. I would say that they have a well-documented process, and seem to follow it properly.

HTH

Susan
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Thank you Susan. I was hoping for more replies. Hampton is one of the top schools on our list and I was wondering if it would make sense to sit early. But another top choice is RGS which doesn't offer a 10+. Presumably passing Hampton at 10+ would rule out sitting 11+ elsewhere.
Argh. Decisions!
ElizaBennett

Post by ElizaBennett »

If your son gets an offer at Hampton at 10+ he'll be invited back to sit the scholarship papers the following year. You will have to pay the deposit for a place, but if you don't mind using that as insurance, and giving it up if he gets a place somewhere you decide you prefer, there's nothing to stop him sitting as many 11+ exams as you like the following year. You might, for example, be thinking of trying Tiffin or one of the other grammars and therefore consider spending £1,000 (I've forgotten how much it is) to hold the place, but let it go if he gets a Tiffin offer.

If he doesn't get an offer, it won't be held against him in the 11+, so in that sense you have nothing to lose, unless you think he'll be very upset. There's also no interview at Hampton at 10+ and the exam's on a Saturday, so they don't even have to miss school.

My younger son sat 10+ deferred this past year at both Hampton and Colet Court, and was offered places at both. We pitched it as a chance to have a go and a practice for the 11+, but our attitude was that he would probably not get in (as we genuinely didn't know). His older brother had done 11+ so this was our first experience of 10+.

It was a lot less stressful than the 11+, as relatively few children are sitting the exams, and also both parents and children know they've got another chance next year. Year 6 is now extremely relaxed for DS2 (no tutoring/past exam papers), no worries about where he's going etc. So unless your son is very sensitive or easily crushed by disappointment, I'd recommend it.