Teachers to Strike over Pensions?????

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moved

Re: Teachers to Strike over Pensions?????

Post by moved »

I deleted my previous post. Thanks ourman for your post.

Many small schools are paid less than the state sector as the schools do not have the budgets to cover large wage costs. Many offer revision classes nightly after school and during holidays for which the teachers are not paid.

One really important point aside from the fact that teachers pensions are not costly to the state and are sustainable, as has already been said, is that the private schools contribute for their teachers rather than the state so they are not costing the taxpayer extra.

What worries me is that no one is going to be attracted to teaching any longer.

I have a story, only slightly fictional! Two siblings went to school and then went to university, one was academically much more able than the other. Twenty plus years ago one went to a good university and obtained a good degree, the other went to a college that was affiliated to a university. Both subsequently obtained postgraduate qualifications. Stupidly the academic went into teaching and he now earns £30000 (now in a private school), and sensibly the less academic went into personnel, as it was then. She now earns over £100000 and has a much better quality of life than her brother who is permanently tired.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

I understand now..I was speaking from
A parents perspective. Both myself and partner work extremely hard to pay for private education. That itself gives us rights.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

no_ball wrote:That itself gives us rights.
However not ones that override an employees to fair work conditions. :)
Last edited by ourmaminhavana on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moved

Post by moved »

A great many schools appear to be offering a reduction in fees if they are closing. Our school will remain open as over 1/3 of the staff will not be on strike.

This has been reported in the press as an "unprecedented" action by private schools. The strike was discussed at great length by our staff - a great many are going to strike, lose a day's pay, AND come to work to teach as the parents have paid.

Ideally, I would encourage parents to try and support the teachers and perhaps complain to their MP about the situation.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Yes, my husband was actually talking about giving extra lessons the day before so that his students didn't miss out, but then sacrificing a day's pay to go on the march.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

The ATL hasn't taken strike action in 127 years and even now they have chosen a day to strike which will not be too disruptive for the pupils.

I am baffled that anyone would refer to teachers as 'selfish'. In my experience teachers are so generous with their time, what with before, lunchtime and after school activities and revision classes. They are constantly on hand to offer support and advice to their pupils.

I am shocked and also puzzled by the lack of appreciation for the people who educate our children. If teachers decided to do what they are paid to do and stopped putting in all the extra time which they give so freely, our children will suffer.

For any of you teachers out there who might read this, I was at a meeting this afternoon with quite a large group of people and during a break the subject of the teachers' strike came up. I am very pleased to report the general feeling was one of sympathy for the teachers.

I hope this hasn't crossed over with other posts as I was called away half way through.
moved

Post by moved »

:D :D :D Thank you Fran and friends - from a non-striking teacher, who isn't part of the pension scheme.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

thank you from me too..

I am in pension scheme, but would not strike. As a supply teacher I couldn;t vote to strike unless I was due to work on teh day.

Luckily (?) it falls the day after I will have been on yr 6 trip to London, getting back at midnight ( and paying for my own ticket...) so I have a ready made excuse!
succeed

Post by succeed »

Yes, thanks Fran,it's very kind of you to share that with us. :) I also agree, and appreciate you highlighting it, the disturbing attitude of so many members of the forum. This site represents parents that are meant to value education the most, but clearly this does not extend to the people responsible for delivering it.
The incongruity of it all is, indeed, striking (excuse the pun) and leads me to wonder whether some seek to establish, and sustain, nothing more than a 'master and servant' relationship with their children's teachers. :shock:
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

The private sector is already braced for a retirement age increase, and Gordon Brown raided private sector pension funds way back in 1996. The public sector is lucky not to have been joined in the pain until now.

I have much more sympathy with teachers in the independent sector: someone said earlier they are being forcibly removed from the Teachers Superannuation Scheme? Please will someone explain exactly what is happening, and what the independent sector pensions arrangements will be going forward?
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now