Non-selective independents in the Bromley area?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bleu

Re: Non-selective independents in the Bromley area?

Post by Bleu »

Because I just want him to go to a nice small school, where he will feel comfortable and happy. Our local comps are terrible; he will not be going to them. Obviously I can not be sure that he will be happy at the school I send him to, but I will jolly well do my best to get it right!

I think he will probably pass some of the (less selective) schools' tests but I would like to have a back up plan.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

And for a 'non-selective' school, Bishop Challoner's GCSE results were excellent. 92% of Year 11s gained 5 A*-C grades - including Maths & English.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

Bleu,
Farringtons does do a test but its more for placements and setting than selective. From what I have gathered from a friend whose DC is going there this september, the interview was not too intensive and their dc enjoyed it.
I suggest you go and visit the schools
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

katel wrote:What's the point of going private if it's not selective?
Some people opt for non selective indies because they do not feel their children can cope with the pressure in some selective indies and grammar. The last thing they will want to do is send their child to a comprehensive where he/she could just be another number on the school register (depending on the comprehensive and area).

I dont see my younger dd as very academic and at the moment, i do not think i will be making her sit any selective tests when she's 10/11 which means I will be looking at the non selective indies.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

blessedmum wrote:
katel wrote:What's the point of going private if it's not selective?
Some people opt for non selective indies because they do not feel their children can cope with the pressure in some selective indies and grammar.
This also.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

There's one called St Dunstan's College in Catford or near. It's a co-ed private, which I've heard very good reports of. Friends have children there and were very happy with it, and their children, though not hugely academic are lovely, hard working and heading off to uni and adult life with plenty of focus and ideas.
Emanuel school in Clapham actively chooses children with lower pass marks at 11 and 13 if they have strong interests elsewhere (art, drama, sport, etc. They are interested in who the child is, not in how well they perform an exam. It sounds like a good school.)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now