Merchant Taylors Suit

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Froggy

Re: Merchant Taylors Suit

Post by Froggy »

2Girlsmum, you can get lots of St Michael's uniform second-hand from the school, if you ask about it. Though it sounds as if you've already shelled out for it. They have a massive cupboard full of stuff, in various conditions -- if you can face rootling through it, you can get most of the items from there, and just buy a couple of things new. They tend to have lots of blazers, cos people grow out of them quite quickly, and loads of shirts, skirts, summer uniform etc.

The problem St M's have with making the uniform more competitively-priced, is that because it's a small school, and lots of items are unique to the school, larger suppliers aren't interested in stocking it because it's not financially viable. I know the school inquired about getting John Lewis to stock the uniform, but they wouldn't.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Thanks Froggy,

I knew about the 2nd hand option, but after all the build-up and work done we felt that a trip to buy new this year was a ritual we wanted. I will try to add some 2nd hand items like an extra blazer, and if there any coats (I can't imaging ANYONE chosing to wear the coat, though by Y11 the Goth in the class might!) and summer skirts/shirts & cardigans. I know that the clothes we bought yesterday will only last a year or two and we will need more, and at that point a mix of old and new would be ideal.

DD's cousin explained that they changed to a purple uniform after a hockey trip to Durham (I think?) and used to have blue before that. The quality is fine, and at least dd suits purple (better than her current green and yellow!). xx

Only just over 3 weeks left at her primary now, and the middle week is her Y6 trip to Pendarren in Wales. We are going to 'Pandamonium in the Park' next Saturday before the trip, and her favourite band Big Time Rush (from Nickelodeon) are playing there but she doesn't know so I cant wait:) I'm sure that I'll be in tears on her last day as the school has been part of her life since nursery :cry:
Froggy

Post by Froggy »

The uniform has been purple for a long, long time, certainly since people now in their mid-to late 30s were at the school. Though the uniform coats are apparently a relatively recent addition, it used to be 'any black coat' and is now the hideous version that you have just shelled out a fortune for. The girls loathe the coats with a vicious passion, and tbh I can see their point. I'd prefer eg. a duffel coat that does up to the neck (without that ridiculous V) and with a hood, or a fleece-lined waterproof like LSU have. But they just have to suck it up. There was a rumour going round last winter that the coats were going to be abolished for the 2011 intake, but obviously not, since you've been told to buy them. The older girls were outraged, reckoning that if they'd had to suffer, why should younger ones escape? :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now