question re: north london consortium exam marks

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
la boume

Re: question re: north london consortium exam marks

Post by la boume »

hi Humbug, sorry don't know the answers to your questions, as i am in the same boat as you and in complete darkness. But I think that in math you can rise from upper average to above average by practicing. English is more tricky in my opinion, especially for a child from the state school.
sgcmum

Post by sgcmum »

Hi humbug,
I was told by nlcs head during this year's interview that the school report only comes into picture after they have considered marks in their entrance exam and their interviews. They also do not look at scripts of kids who have taken their exams in a different school in the consortium.
Also at Habs I was told that they do occasionally call pupils who have done extraordinarily well in one but not in the other for interview.

Sgcmum
Humbug

Post by Humbug »

Ok... so it sounds like there is at least the possibility that they might look outside pure numbers.. maybe... I suppose not every school has exactly the same policy in any case. Thank you!
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

My dd's took the group 1 & 2 consortium exams and we were advised by their prep that a child can get away with lower marks in maths than in english because most schools stream the children for maths very early on and the schools can usually bring them on with extra tuition. Whereas having a good command of english is helpful because it impacts on many other subjects.

It was our experience that SPGS, CLSG, NLCS and SHHS required higher marks in the exams than some other schools and it is no surprise to us why these schools consistently feature high up in the league tables.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now