Is it a disadvantage to apply to several schools at once?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mama-de-dos

Is it a disadvantage to apply to several schools at once?

Post by mama-de-dos »

Hello there, here's a question from the U.S....

Is it common for kids to apply to multiple independent schools like Eton, Westminster, St. Paul's, etc. or do kids typically zero in on one school? For example, in the U.S. it would be totally expected for kids to apply to many schools, but would this be viewed in a negative light (e.g., in the interview) in the UK?
Sportsmum

Re: Is it a disadvantage to apply to several schools at once

Post by Sportsmum »

If I remember correctly, when filling in school application forms you have to declare which other schools you are applying for - and I believe what your order of preference is. Some people are economical with the truth when replying to this question, but the heads do talk to each other about different candidates - and compare notes! It's a while since we filled in application forms - so it may have changed - but I don't believe so.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

If you looking at certain public schools such as the ones you listed (these are actually independent schools - generally fully boarding) then you only aim at one - advised usually by the head of the prep and in the case of Eton and others etc assessed by pre tests at the age of 11 for access to CE at 13.

if they don't make the pre tests then you look somewhere else. to actually get into these schools then you take the common entrance exam whisch is sent to the senior school to be marked, if they don't go for it then other schools are contacted.

If you are looking a and independent (mainly day though some boarding) these are via CE and their own exams - many people apply for several and take several exams.

What you may twig from this is that within indies there is a hierarchy
goinggetstough

Post by goinggetstough »

It is possible to apply for a number of schools and do all their pre-tests. However, if the schools use the common entrance exam you have to nominate your first choice school as Herman said. I think you have to state your first choice CE school by the February before the exam in June. My experience only relates to CE at age 13.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

It is perfectly acceptable to apply to more than one school and many schools suggest you do because their school is so oversubscribed! :roll: It's not uncommon for St Paul's, Westminster and CLB to be registered or Westminster and Eton or Eton and Harrow, or Eton and Winchester. The first example is keeping options open, the second is a boarding option, the third is social climbing as most OH or OE's would never apply to the rival school. :wink:

My son sat for Eton, Westminster and Winchester and it had no effect, nor did the schools contact one another. I think the major schools are far too busy and have too many applicants to contact the other schools nowadays although it may still happen.

Some schools have earlier pre-tests which works out well as you have a decision before having to apply to another school. Unfortunately E, W and W do not but Harrow's test is a year after these ones.