Habs Admission

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mushroom

Re: Habs Admission

Post by mushroom »

The Habs Boys website gives you most of the info you need as the exam papers for English and Maths are actual past papers not 'sample' papers. The reasoning paper is mostly verbal reasoning with some NVR and logic as well.

Exam date is normally a Friday in early January. If it's not on the website yet it's likely to be the 6th of Jan or possibly the 13th.

Selection is based on exam results, interview and report from primary school.

Around 600 sit the exam and 250-300 interviewed for approx 100 places. Total pupils in Year 7 is around 150 as approx 50 pupils also move up from the Habs prep school.
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

For 2011 the exam date was Friday 7th Jan. The invites went out by the 13th for interviews on the 25th and the offer letter went out Feb 24th.

I don't remember too much about the day of the test but for the interview we arrived at the stipulated time, waited a while in reception before being shown into a coffee/tea area. The kids were taken off to be interviewed while the parents had a chance to chat to older Habs boys. During this time a master would come out, pick up a pair of parents, have a 5-10 minute chat and then return them to the coffee area. I seem to recall the kids being away for about 35 minutes.

We weren't anything searching so I'm not sure whether the purpose was to check out the parents or whether it was to allow the parents an opportunity to ask questions.

As for the kids, mine was asked the standard questions like what do you like to read? what do you do in your spare time? When I was doing research into this last year I recalled a forum poster going on about prepping their kids by getting them to read newspapers and the like. My son wasn't tested on his knowledge of current affairs but he was asked 'if you had to think of a motto for Habs what would it be?'. Habs are obviously aware that parents prep their kids so they like to throw in these types of questions to see if a boy can think on his feet.

I hope that this info is of use.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Sorry off topic....just saying hi to Pushydad...hope your 2 are enjoying their new schools ?
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

Hi Scarlett

Both are enjoying their respective schools but DD is probably enjoying hers more coz she is still in the honeymoon period, what with no homework yet. DS on the other hand is already getting about an hour's homework each night. Coupled to this, he has school orchestra rehearsals twice a week on top of his other after school activities and music lessons. To his credit, DS isn't complaining.

Well, what doesn't break him will only make him stronger :D
Daogroupie

HABS Girls

Post by Daogroupie »

We sat Habs girls this year and last year and found the whole experience really delightful. Both dd's really enjoyed the interviews and I had a blast meeting the Head and Deputy Head at my interview! I found them all a real pleasure to deal with. The girl's exam is English, Maths and VR. The music and sport is also really strong. I would recommend anyone applying. I did not see it as a hothouse but an environment where girls can excel if they want to. I know both my dd's would have been really happy there but we had options that were geographically closer and free! Any other questions I would be happy to answer. Maths is a really strong point there so I would advise strong focus on Maths preparation if your dd wants to go there. But both dd's said that there was nothing in the paper that they had not already covered at school. DG