Habs Admission

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

smith

Habs Admission

Post by smith »

I'm really sorry but I was hoping someone could help me with some questions I have for Habs in Borehamwood.

1 What is the process for admission?

2 What tests are there NV, NVR etc

3 How many places are available?

4 Does anyone know how many children apply?

5 When are the tests, even approximate would do.

Thanks in advance
Thingsbehindthesun

Re: Habs Admission

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

We're actually interested in this school as well! They have open day coming up on the 1st of october but taken from their website:

Procedures and Entry Tests

Our procedure has four elements:

* Competitive entry tests
* Interviews
* School reference
* Disability assessments (if applicable)

At 11+ candidates take an Entrance Examination consisting of written papers in English, Mathematics and verbal reasoning. In English, the paper will test reading and understanding, with a writing task.

The Maths exam is designed to test the ability to think mathematically and logically.The use of calculators is not allowed.

A number of girls are called for interview on the basis of the written examination, and amongst these girls offers of places are made. Girls are not required to bring books, projects or other work with them to interview, but we do ask one or both of a girl's parents or guardians to come also at this time, to meet the Head or one of the senior staff.

I think there's 75 places at Haberdasher's girls that around 400-ish apply for.I think the actual exams tend to be in Jan.
Last edited by Thingsbehindthesun on Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
;D
Thingsbehindthesun

Oh and if you want to see the actual thing:

http://www.habsgirls.org.uk/general.php ... &page_id=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D
;D
smith

Post by smith »

is this the same for boys as it's for my son?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Oops you didn't say which school so TBTS kindly found some information for girls...

how about looking at the admissions section on the HABs Boys website:

http://www.habsboys.org.uk/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
smith

Post by smith »

Thanks

I've had a look at the admisssions section but it doesn't state what tests they do. Yes there are examples of maths and eglish but it doesn't state anything about VR and NVR.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

smith wrote:Thanks

I've had a look at the admisssions section but it doesn't state what tests they do. Yes there are examples of maths and eglish but it doesn't state anything about VR and NVR.
they obviously don't want you doing too much!

A mixture of questions on verbal, non-verbal and mathematical reasoning. We recommend the use of sample papers available from major newsagents such as W.H.Smith. It is useful to practise 2 or 3 of these papers to familiarise the candidate with the style of question, but not to overdo it!
smith

Post by smith »

Thank you for your help it's most appreciated.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

just found a post from coolmum which gives a bit more info:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... vr#p129748" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS there is more than one coolmum involved with HABS by the look of things :roll: !!

You could try searching for members who are involved with HABS by putting HABS into the search engine - then contact any who seem to have been through the "experience" before.

Also we might get some experience Habbers on the forum later in the day... :wink:
Thingsbehindthesun

Note to self: Ask gender first! :lol:
;D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now