School uniform

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Re: School uniform

Post by mystery »

I do think the price of uniforms in general has come down over the years including independents. I went to an independent and the kind of prices I remember, if you adjusted them to today's prices would be mind-boggling. Mind you the quality was fantastic, and the secondhand uniform bore testimony to this - some of it was at least 20 years old I am sure. And we kept it all so clean with our aprons and fantastic manners that none of it ever needed to get spoilt in the washing machine; a yearly dry clean of the woollen worsted gaberdine, skirt and blazer was quite sufficient! Oh we had to play out in a hat too - felt and bowler shaped with a ribbon round it!! I have to wash my children's sweatshirt material cardigans every day as they have the menu down them, and also other things that would be better suited to a handkerchief.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Just use a sponge Mystery, and tell them to sit at the back of the class.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Sitting at the back of the class doesn't necessarily mean that they won't have snot on their clothes. I am so sick of being sneezed over that I ask them to sneeze into the crook of their arm (not into their hands obviously as this is unhygienic). My students leave with more issues than they came in with ... Shame they don't come in with tissues!
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:Most schools don't expect regulation blue/White shirts or grey trousers so they can be bought elsewhere.
That may be the case for boys but not, unfortunately, for girls. One of my daughters has a striped school blouse, the other also had a regulation style (now in the sixth form, so uniform free, luckily), the same is the case for skirts - they may be straight, A-line, front pleat, back pleat, back slit etc etc. You just can't buy the right items at chain stores, so I'm usually first in the queue at the secondhand sales.
lara228

Post by lara228 »

mystery wrote: Mind you the quality was fantastic, and the secondhand uniform bore testimony to this - some of it was at least 20 years old I am sure.

I still have a school skirt, cardi, tie and hat - left school 30+ years ago. The quality is superb compared with what I buy my DS in chainstores today, but it cost a fortune - had to be bought from Harrods. I remember at the time the regulation school winter coat cost over £60 (40 years ago) and parents made a huge fuss, we were eventually allowed to wear any plain navy winter coat - thank goodness for duffle coats! Also had to have indoor and outdoor shoes, summer and winter hats but my mum bought everything at least 2 sizes too large so that it lasted!
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

lara228 wrote:I still have a school skirt, cardi, tie and hat - left school 30+ years ago.
I wish I could get into my clothes from 30 years ago! :lol: :lol:
lara228

Post by lara228 »

999 mum wrote:
lara228 wrote:I still have a school skirt, cardi, tie and hat - left school 30+ years ago.
I wish I could get into my clothes from 30 years ago! :lol: :lol:
Didn't mean to mislead you - I've got them as whistful reminders of when I could fit into them!!
mystery

Post by mystery »

"Sitting at the back of the class doesn't necessarily mean that they won't have snot on their clothes. I am so sick of being sneezed over that I ask them to sneeze into the crook of their arm (not into their hands obviously as this is unhygienic). My students leave with more issues than they came in with ... Shame they don't come in with tissues!" :lol:

Maybe you teach my children KS10. They do have tissues in their pockets, but I'm not sure what they get used for so you probably think they don't. Oh dear. How do you all bring up perfect children?
rachag

Post by rachag »

My school cloak - wool and weighed a ton - was £70 in 1977! I agree that the prices have come down - my school skirts were about the same price as DC indie now.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I had forgotten indoor and outdoor shoes!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now