hidden extras

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sherry_d

Re: hidden extras

Post by sherry_d »

I too don't think Gads is worth the money. Its a very nice, humble, down to earth school and a friend even had the Head play a guitar on a visit but the results are really poor considering most of the kids are coming from their prep department too. They tout themselves as the best school in the country or whatever because they have higher aggregate scores at GCSE. The kids get Cs but do a lot of subjects and they do subjects that most indies won't touch like Public Services.

Kings is much better but more pricey. They do have an excellent bursary scheme and the best I have ever come across of schools that don't have any legacies so worth contacting them on that basis. The only downside to this is they spend quite a substantial chunk of their income on bursaries and facilities do lack a bit in other areas. I also didn't warm to the Head (not sure why) but he is going in a few months anyway. He has been one of the longest serving Heads in an independent school and feel the school had stay in a rut due to lack on any innovating ideas.

Regarding extras our schools certainly has loads which is perhaps more typical for boarding schools but then they always let you know and its up to you what to take or not to take. Including music tuition, it probably works at around £500 a term but I expect this to be a bit lower for a day schools because there are other extra bits like telephone cards, pocket money etc thats all billed as extra that you won't need for a day school.

No skiing trips here but we have had letter for £330 for open water diving. Thank goodness DD isnt in the slightest interested in it.
Impossible is Nothing.
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

My son is at a local senior day school. Roughly speaking fees end up being at 5K per term, whilst quoted fees are £4300 per term. Extras are school lunch, music lessons, trips etc. My son also takes 1 of the overseas trip options per year. These are obviously optional, but he has got a massive amount from the trips he has done. We feel it is worth every penny. Quite a lot of parents struggle with fees, but cut back in other areas of life, its certainly a tough call.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

The school bus can rack up the cost too. We're looking at an extra £1200 a year once both of them are travelling by bus.
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

Good point. We pay £1700 per year for two childrens bus passes :(
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Just looked at Trent College have travelling quite a way (lichfield to Nottingham now...) - the bus varies between £700 and £1400 a year for each child.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Herman, I want a whistling breath emoticon. Wow. I thought we had it steep but that really is a lot. Shared taxis could be cheaper!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Ours was £7.50 a day (bus not taxi :lol: )
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

menagerie wrote:Herman, I want a whistling breath emoticon. Wow. I thought we had it steep but that really is a lot. Shared taxis could be cheaper!
Just checked - max distance is 31 miles, that bus route recently introduced for parents - presumably because of demand....
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

at a non-indie.. the bus to school was really expensive especially as it was adult rate only during school time..apparently because they had to lay on a double decker. I have lived here for15 years and have only seen a double decker on the route twice and that was in the past year