English material for Indies

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
yoyo123

Re: English material for Indies

Post by yoyo123 »

edingly...

Try to start some sentences with a word ending in ed, ing or ly.
munch

Post by munch »

Thank you Tailsmo - that thread is really helpful. I have also now bought the Bond books recommended by many of you.
yoyo123-thank you for edingly-easy one to remember :)
NorthLondonMum

Post by NorthLondonMum »

Hi all,

Just wondering how people are getting on with "The Secrets of Writing" (Bond). I bought it after reading this thread and have been working on writing with my DD one evening a week. I am now trying to prioritise the areas which I think will make the biggest diference to her, e.g. last week we worked on generating creative ideas using a recent day trip she had been on as inspiration and wrote four plans. This week I am thinking of getting her to take one of the plans she wrote last week, improve it and turn it into a full piece of writing, but I'm unsure whether that would be a waste of time before we have worked on other basic stuff.

I am a bit worried that I won't cover enough ground, there seems so much material in the book that we could use but it is tricky to turn it into a scheme of work - I think it would take years if we tried to do everything! I should say that we are working towards 2013 entry, so it seems like we have a lot of time but as we can only do this once a week I know the time will fly by, and it seems that many Grammar school exams may be moved earlier next year (at least we will still have plenty of time for the Indies - I hope).

I would like her to progress to a 5c in writing by the end of year 5, she was a 4c at the end of year 4 so it is probably a tall order.

How is everyone else getting on with writing?