City of London Boys 11+ exam

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mamakiso

Re: City of London Boys 11+ exam update

Post by mamakiso »

My DS was accepted at City but we didn't get the chance to attend an open day until today.

260 sat the bursary exam - 50 were called to take the common entrance and 6 -8 places were awarded -100% full tuition fees.

410 (including the 50 above) sat the common entrance, didn't mention how many were interviewed. For each space approx 2.5 offers sent for 52 full fee/scholarship places.

10+ I think he said 130 or so for approximately 24 places.

I got a warm feeling from the school, as did my DS, the boys were friendly and polite and the cakes etc. were delish!

The exams according to my DS were not overly difficult but there wasn't enough time. Good, extensive vocabulary is essential and maths skills. NV should be okay with practice as should the verbal reasoning.

As mentioned already, if you take the sponsored award exam and don't pass, you're not allowed to sit the common entrance exam. I suppose this is based on the premise (rightly or wrongly) that you have stated you can't afford the fees by applying for a bursary. For the sponsored exam, I would recommend getting your DS used to doing computer based papers not just bond books or whatever book you choose to use. It will help with speed and accuracy which DS needs for this exam. There is no do over, the answer has to be right the first time, the test does not allow you to go back and check your answers and/or do any questions that were skipped.

Slight change - if your applying for 13+ the exam is now taken 2years ahead so; for 2015 entry exams will be taken early 2013 and forms need to be in this year by the closing date.

Hope this helps for the future.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now