Scholarship Interviews

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MitraniD

Scholarship Interviews

Post by MitraniD »

Hi,

My DD will be sitting for 11+ this year tp start the 2013-2014 session. Just wanted to find out if the Independent Schools call for interviews separately for scholarships?

Thanks
svg123

Re: Scholarship Interviews

Post by svg123 »

No, I don't think there is any separate interview for academic scholarship. Its based on the test results + performance at the interview + maybe report from the headmaster.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

It might vary from school to school but the Indie I have experience of offers scholarships purely on the exam marks. Bursaries are a different issue which require a separate application.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Some do call separately for scholarship interviews. At one school I know the parents are invited to take tea with the headmaster whilst the children are having their scholarship interviews - ie the parents are interviewed too :lol: . The scholarship interviews happen after the written examination, so I suspect are used to "fine tune" the level of scholarship to award.
Loopy
Scoopy19

Post by Scoopy19 »

In my experience each school deals with it differently.

My DD has now been asked back for 2 separate scholarship interviews. In both cases she was also nterviewed before the entrance test (as was everbody who applied) and this is an additional interview.

For the 1st one the HT wanted to see me but only as a courtesy. DD was then interviewd by HT and a governer and asked various challenging questions such as:

- which world leader from the past do you admire;
- has any recent news story interested you;
- what or who would you try and help if you had unlimited money.

We hadn't done any prep on these topics so she was a bit caught out.

For the 2nd one, its only the HT and HT doesn't want to see me at all.

Good luck for your DC.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Each school does it differently. For one school they called back the top twenty from the first exam and they had a further harder exam and then an interview. For another they had a separate interview with senior management with questions like "What one thing would you change about your school" "Who would you most like to interview and why?" PM me for more detail if you like. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now