Westminster School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

questions

Re: Westminster School

Post by questions »

We've had good news!

Does anyone know how many places they will offer? Or how many bursary places?

Thanks
mangomum

Post by mangomum »

Well done Questions - to you and your DS!

If my memory serves me right they invite 40 back for an interview for 20 places. Upto 10 of these will be bursary (this was info. given out on the open day).

Make sure you give your boy a treat tonight!
MangoMum
mangomum

Post by mangomum »

mangomum wrote:Well done Questions - to you and your DS!

If my memory serves me right they invite 40 back for an interview for 20 places. Upto 10 of these will be bursary (this was info. given out on the open day).

Make sure you give your boy a treat tonight!
Oh and good luck too for the interview!
MangoMum
questions

Post by questions »

Thank you for the nice message and for the info mangosmum. It feels much less nerve wracking when you have the full information and know the odds for some reason. Sorry that your DS won't be there too.
sillymum

Post by sillymum »

mangomum wrote:We now have our letter - and I'm afraid it's a no for us :-(

I hope some of you come back with good news to cheer me up.
Oh...I'm so sorry mangomum :( :( Was really crossing my fingers for you. If it's any consolation, I'm waiting for "Mr. Postie" too. Have got a gut feeling that he's not going to bring good news though. Oh well, I think we all deserve a big pat on the back for at least trying and maybe getting out that bottle of red that was saved for a rainy day :) xx
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

I think last year they took 22 - I had heard that they are slowly increasing the 11+ group. They now have two smaller classes rather than 1 large (20 pupil) class. Not sure that makes much of a difference - but it's in the right direction for your ratios. If they don't find enough of the right calibre they have in the past selected a smaller group. Not sure if there is a limit to bursaries. Good luck for the interview - your boys have done really well to get this far, whatever the outcome.
questions

Post by questions »

Thank you pebbles, more useful info there. Anyone know anything about what to expect at the interviews?
mangomum

Post by mangomum »

Questions - further info. Letter says 24 places available so your odds have just gone up! Let us know how it goes. It will be good to know and a good reference point those sitting entry September 2013. Best of luck.
MangoMum
vivienphung

Post by vivienphung »

We have not received the letter yet this morning but now have to go to work. I phoned up the school this morning and was told good news. DS is having interview on Tuesday.

Do we have any existing Westminster parents here who know the format and length of the interview? What type of questions they ask and whether they are academic or not? Any tips would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
sodium

Post by sodium »

Been a lurker for the past few weeks, we've had good news, can't believe it. Good luck to all for the interviews next week.

Mangomum - I feel your pain. Hats of to you for being so gracious even though things did not work out here. I'm sure your lad will do well wherever he goes especially with someone like you setting the standards :)

I'm sure all will end up at a decent school by 1st March. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now