Independent Schools vs State Schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Post by Guest »

I agree that in London (my experience) the few grammar schools are so difficult to get into (1 place for every 10 applicants) that the 'best' independent schools take many children who haven't managed to get a grammar school place. However, again in my experience, these independent schools do not give as much homework, are able to give more individual attention to each child, and I think put less pressure on the child than the London grammar schools do (eg Latymer, Henrietta Barnet, QEB, Tiffin etc). And on fees, £15,000 is an overestimate unless you're boarding. Again, even at the well-known independents in London you're often looking at £10,000 - £12,000 p.a. - a great deal of money for sure but not £15,000.

To the guest wondering if you should have moved your child into the independent sector earlier, I think you've done the right thing staying where you are. Everything your child has experienced in a state primary school will prepare them to deal in a grounded way with a secondary education in the independent sector. They will come to it fresh with a formative experience of a wide cross-section of people.
Astrid

Look at your European neighbours

Post by Astrid »

I used to live in Sweden which I note in recent surveys is shown to have the best education in the world. There are hardly any private schools in Sweden.

It seems what Britain needs is a more demanding public/parent power. It was the parents that pushed the government in Sweden in the 1980s that raised Sweden's standards to one of the top 3 countries in the world for education for over 20 years now.

The UK government only thinks as far as the next election or by-election and so has no coherent policy when it comes to education. The aim of the government has to be in relation to economic realities which we in Sweden did - that is to say we recognise that with an aging population we need the youth to be world-class in order that our country will prosper suffiently, and this meant having the brighest children.

Our government's priority is therefore the people's priority: education, health etc - not spending billions of dollars on unjust wars based on a stubborn prime-minster with a cabinet of poodles. The same money diverted to education could work wonders for UK's future.

Both my girls are in private education in UK, but I would happily trade for a good state education if one existed in the UK. My husband's contract ends next year and we will be returning to Sweden and the state sector.

If any one would happy to see the abolition of the grammar school system it would be the independent schools - they have the most to gain financially.
Thea

Post by Thea »

Interesting re the Swedish System. Many years ago I taught in Japan, not exactly a model for education systems with all the pressure and cramming and dishonour associated with failure, but private schools (many fewer than here) were looked down on as less prestigious than the good state schools with the elite being those who get into the eqivalent of grammar schools - by ability not by proximity (hence murderously long commutes getting them used to how life would be as a sarari-man...)
Best Regards,
Thea

Post by Guest »

Thea,

Rightly or wrongly I am a believer that every child with the right encouragement can achieve tremendous things, and having a measure of success or failure at an early age can only discourage a child. I think examinations in UK are introduced far too early and this leads to discouragement or reduced expectations that will deter the child from achievement for the rest of his or her life. The Swedish system does not promote examinations for younger children, moreover teachers seem to get intimately involved with each childs aspirations which is really lacking in UK state system.

Astrid

Post by Guest »

Astrid,

Sweden is a wonderful example of how a European country can and probably should be run. Perhaps our government should pay more attention to education then bogus WMD claims. However I disagree with the core arugment.

I think the essential difference these days is family values whicah cannot be instilled if parents are too busy; parents have to sprint just to stand still just to pay the bills and school fees, working ever longer hours etc. Basically if parents did not have to work so hard then they can devote time for encouragement, discipline and assistance which would make it possible for the state sector to perform.

Look at the Swedish model: no one for instance would work the crazy 12-14 hours a day that is common in this country (e.g. London) for working parents. It is counter-productive since parents end up compensating with private education.
Dilema mum

Independent School or State Grammers

Post by Dilema mum »

All

I have been following the forums on this website for the last 6 months and it has been very helpful.

I would be really interested if anyone has had to make a decision between private and grammer school in the last couple of weeks, we are in the position of having to decide and it is proving very difficult - both the schools do equally well with exam results, it seems to come down to what do we want to pay for 'patrol' care.

Any advice much appreciated we have to make a decison very soon.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would go round both schools again - ask questions about everything!

Look at qualifications of the teachers - have they mostly got a degree AND a teaching qualification? You do not have to be a qualified teacher to teach in an independent school ....

If your child is musical and sporty - what do they offer?

Post by Guest »

To be fair, i have three friends and relatives who are post graduate without being qualified teachers that teach in state schools.
latymer1

guest67

Post by latymer1 »

I hope Both schools must take receuitment very seriously as they are selective on children then why not on teachers

I dont think you comare the facilities offer by private with that of state grammers

I think the education should be the same for both and have heard the state grammers normally get the brighter kids but may be wrong

whats your say on this as good discussion point
solimum

Post by solimum »

I have posted some comments on this in the thread on the Birmingham forum where another poster is facing a similar dilemma