Plan B anyone

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
wyndales

Re: Plan B anyone

Post by wyndales »

I totally agree with the peer pressure problem.
Our local high school is also renowned for unchecked bullying which is rather scary!

I feel in limbo at the moment until we find out what our option really are.
lara228

Post by lara228 »

This thread has urged me to be a bit more proactive and have today been seeking out local(ish) prep schools that have an intake at 11+ - it's surprising how many have a closing date for applications of 2 March!!! Have found a few with superb results at getting 13+ scholarships at my preferred independent schools - but will have to fork out a not so small fortune for 2 years if we have to chose this route.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It really is that simple. Uncool to be bright, so you send your dc to a school where there are so many bright kids that they become a peer group in themselves within which it is cool to be bright. I currently work with a Year Five class where just by chance there are a lot of bright kids so guess what! It is cool to be bright! Sadly in the Year Six class it is a different matter. The randomness of the peer group. My dd's year groups are quite different but there are enough bright kids to make it easy to do well. DG
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

Plan B is to continue in the Secondary School of the Indie that my DD is currently in. This school is not a big fan of their students moving on to other schools at 11+, and is not good at either academics or sports :(. So, I am really hoping that Plan A works out. Fingers crossed!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

lara228 wrote:This thread has urged me to be a bit more proactive and have today been seeking out local(ish) prep schools that have an intake at 11+ - it's surprising how many have a closing date for applications of 2 March!!! Have found a few with superb results at getting 13+ scholarships at my preferred independent schools - but will have to fork out a not so small fortune for 2 years if we have to chose this route.

Lara - wouldn't take the 2nd March closing date too literally (still worth getting the application in on time though... :mrgreen: ) . Many of the preps will be hoping to hang on to kids who leave them at 11 to go to state schools etc - they tend to put early dates for applications for new people and also kids currently there confirming whether or not they will be leaving in the summer.... bit of pressure on current kids (more specifically their parents!!) who may be on a waiting list somewhere for year 7 entry to say that they will stay on until 13.
Not2longnow

Post by Not2longnow »

Hi there,

Just a query regarding indies.

My son just sat for GS exam, for certain reasons we(dh and myself) had decided against applying in independent schools because of the prevailing circumstances then. Now the situation has changed and I am regretting that decision. Would it be possible for us to apply as the deadline has passed and so have the exams?Would they allow?
Do they consider late applications?

Thanks
lara228

Post by lara228 »

You could always try for 13+ entry in 2 years time - but will be competing against prep-school children who will be far advanced of equivalent state school kids.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

My DD's Indie does consider applications throughout the year if there are spaces but they sent out offer letters this week.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

On the whole I'd say many schools would consider a late applicant especially if the pupil has a lot to offer.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:On the whole I'd say many schools would consider a late applicant especially if the pupil has a lot to offer.

Agreed - many indies will see some of their expected students decline their places following March 1st so may be keen to have a waiting list of some more good candidates.

Also worth knowing that there are a fair number every year of people successfully applying to indies AFTER March 1st when the news then is not what they want... so well worth trying a month early :wink: