North London Girls Consortium - Scholarship Offers already?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
la boume

Re: North London Girls Consortium - Scholarship Offers alrea

Post by la boume »

No, of course, Shamal, you did not! OP said,that some kids at school been bragging about admission with full scholarship! Then you suggested that the Heads of preps may already know by now, so I just added 2 + 2= prep school kids with full scholarship, which seems like nonsense to me.
And yes, I am aware how the whole process works.
Let's just wait very calmly till the end of Feb.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

I've heard about Immanuel informing of scholarships. I only know because my friend is hoping to get one for her ds. Don't know about other schools though.
shamal

Post by shamal »

Never mind a scholarship...I just hope for a place :-)
Waiting patiently for the 23-24 Feb.....
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Don't know about the girl's consortium's, but it is not unheard of for schools to tell parents at interview that their child has a place. Boy's schools often meet the parents too. They are in a competitive market and want to attract the best children. Nothing is certain until the letter drops on your mat though. Not sure about scholarships.
worrier

Post by worrier »

I do know that some schools do offer a scholarship possibility [new exam on top of one sat] to try for a scholarship and others offer scholarship interviews to students who have done well in their entrance exam for that school.

DD received an offer of potential scholarship for St Albans girls and had to go an hour or so earlier than other girls invited back for normal interview. I decided to sit around with other parents in a similar position to wait for DD and the head came to speak to us and told us that even if our DDs did not get a scholarship, they would def get an offer for a place. At that stage our DDs had not done the interview yet, but it was on the same day.

My niece, doing exams now, has been called by two schools to do scholarship interviews - so in those cases, even if the scholarship doesn't come thru an offer will definitely.

So, may not be kids bragging. Not sure about full scholarships or amounts offered, but some children do receive letters telling them about potential scholarships and that does mean that offers are on the table too.

W
11+jamboree

Post by 11+jamboree »

Thanks everyone for the responses. It is obvious that it could be a mix of kids bragging or in some cases, the school actually informing parents/primary schools beforehand.

Well, all we can do is wait I guess. I suppose there is no point in worrying about something that one has no influence over.

Wish we all had a time machine and could move ahead to 23rd/24th. :)

All the best to your dc. Hopefully, everyone waiting for results will have something good to report in a couple of weeks time.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Worrier, Well done to your dd for getting through to the scholarships tests at St Albans. The top twenty girls in the academic test are invited back for further tests on the same day as their group interview. As there are 90 odd spaces for Year 7 and about 30 are taken up by the preps it stands to reason that the girls who got the top twenty rankings in the academic test are already offer material. What did your dd think of the second round of tests and the group interview? DG
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

DD had an interview last week at NLCS. We were clearly told that the results will be posted on 23Feb, and will be emailed on 24Feb. It looks like they received close to 700 applications this year (the highest ever) and they invited 197 girls for interviews for 64 available places. About 40 will join from their junior school.

We were highly impressed by the students, the staff, and the facilities of NLCS.

Fingers crossed for DD's result!
11+jamboree

Post by 11+jamboree »

DD had an interview last week at NLCS. We were clearly told that the results will be posted on 23Feb, and will be emailed on 24Feb. It looks like they received close to 700 applications this year (the highest ever) and they invited 197 girls for interviews for 64 available places. About 40 will join from their junior school.
Concerned Dad, you seem to have heard the exact same things we were told at NLCS in terms of the dates. NLCS told us about 45 will be coming from their junior school and 60 will be taken through the exams and interviews. HABS and St.Helens also mentioned the same dates and that's what prompted my initial question.

By now, most of us would have done with the exams and interviews and all that can be done is to wait and see. While the suspense is killing, its in a way exciting as well. :x Fingers crossed!

All the best to your dd and for everyone waiting for results. May be, one day, we can all (parents and dc) look back at this as something we all gained valuable experience from for further challenges in life.
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

I reckon a few applicants would have been called for music scholarship audition. It is not however clear whether the invite for music scholarship implies an offer to the school or not. CLSG clearly advised that an invite to audition does not mean that the student already got an offer to the school.

Here is an excerpt from NLCS website which states that no special exams / interviews will be conducted for awarding academic scholarships.

Academic scholarship awards are based solely on the entrance examination results at 11+ and 16+, with awards made on academic merit irrespective of financial means. There are no special scholarship examinations nor do parents apply for a scholarship. The value of scholarships is up to 50% of fees and is valid until the end of a girl's education at NLCS.
A number of music scholarships are awarded at 11+ on the basis of merit. Girls must pass the entrance examination and a music audition conducted by the music department to qualify. In addition, music scholars may be eligible for a bursary. Parents who wish their daughter to be considered for a music scholarship must fill in an application form. For further information and to download an application form, please read the Music Scholarship section below.
It has certainly been a valuable experience for DD, DW and myself. We started preparations rather late, but it was a joy to see significant improvement in DD's maths ability from December to January.

I wish your DD, and everyone's DC the best in these exams / interviews.