Help

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loo1965

Help

Post by loo1965 »

Not sure if anyone can offer any words of wisdom but I posted on here saying I was really pleased as DS was offered a place. The bubble has burst though as we had applied for a bursary as no way we could afford the fees but we received a letter saying they were not going to give us a bursary- devastated!!!!we needed a fairly significant bursary and all h way along I had been in contact with the school who seemed very supportive, very positive. So it was a complete shock when hey said no. I have spoken to the school and asked why they said not enough funds to go round.

As a business I would have thought that they would have known the funding available and not have got my hopes up. They had my completed financial forms last September and everyone else's so they knew well in advance of sitting the exams what people were applying for- so am perplexed as to why this happened. Is it worth persuing? Or is it just a case of sour grapes for me?? Somehow it just doesn't feel right. What happens if people who have been given a bursary turn down the place due to accepting other schools? We had not applied to any others as didn't want anywhere else!!!!
Just feeling really let down - DS s devastated!!!!
Any comments ??
Waiting_For_Godot

Re: Help

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

The school will have been supportive to every bursary applicant because they will not know who is serious enough to accept the place or who will pass the exam. If enough bursary applicants pull out then I'm sure the next on the waiting list for a bursary will receive it. Of course, it may be that the school did not think you were entitled to a bursary or if funds were limited it may have gone to the brightest students, but they could not determine this until the test.
Apple10

Post by Apple10 »

You could try applying to other indies near your area. All schools have different criteria for handing out bursaries.
Do you know how your ds did in the entrance exams? If his marks are high enough, they may still want him, if lots turn down their offers.
loo1965

Post by loo1965 »

Hi Apple
We didn't apply to anywhere else as this wouldn't have been practical for us and DS had his heart set on this one only. I will email the school and ask for his mark though.
Thanks
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

Oh I can imagine how gutted you must feel, talk about having the rug pulled from your feet!
Are there any charities you can turn to that offer bursaries? I think I saw something about it on here?
x
Vic x
IngaL

Post by IngaL »

HI, my friend's daughter was in similar situation. They applied for the bursary place and were told that school doesn't have enough funds to offer. At the end they were told that there were other girls in much worse situation that qualified for bursary as well. It is usually someone who did better on the test and after that who is really in need. They don't have extra funds unless they are willing to give you a scholarship as well. School had 25 qualified candidates for the bursaries and only 2 places available. If you are already at indie, it is even harder to get bursary. You can ask them how many places are available and what is you position. I am sorry, but it does not look promising unless someone else refuses the place. Keep you hopes up but look for the alternative.
BellaMamma

Post by BellaMamma »

My DC was offered a place, but without a bursary, and I was crushed. I felt like the poor kid had done well enough to get in, but not well enough to be really wanted. I have since spoken with the Head and been told in the event that bursaries are turned down (and I know they are, as I turned one down a few years back for other DC), the funds would be given out based on test scores. I am hopeful and waiting, but can't help but wonder if I am hoping for a miracle.
Has anyone out there been awarded a late bursary?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now