what do you do if you're 'on the waiting list'?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
buffy21sam

Re: what do you do if you're 'on the waiting list'?

Post by buffy21sam »

I am in a similar situation,I have been offered a waiting list place,essentially a reserve place for my daughter,and a definite place,unfortuantely we are/were totally reliant on getting bursary funding.
now I have an offer at her a)chosen local school,an academy slightly better and at least has a sixth form better then than compared to absolute nearest(dreadful)b)waiting list place c)full fee place pretty much impossible.

Have no idea what to do,I think I am going to have to swallow my pride and take the local offer.Discussed it with our head teacher,he has been supportive.
I have to decide by Wednesday this week.
(Schools are Manchester High,withington girls,man high is the definiite).
I haven't done anything definite yet,hoping for a lotto win:(
Humbug

Post by Humbug »

Not sure I entirely understand your situation. Is the waiting list place for a bursary? If so, I think I would accept the local school (can't do any harm in any case) and hold out for the waiting list school. That way, whatever happens you won't have lost any money and will be able to go to the waiting list school if it comes through at any stage. If there's no way you can pay full fees it sounds like you'll have to let that one go?
buffy21sam

Post by buffy21sam »

We have a son at Manchester grammar school,he is on a full bursary,yesterday we refused the offer of a place at Man. high,as we could not afford the fees,they were not offering any fee remission whatsoever,and essentially if we took the offer our son would have to lose his place(as this would be taken into account with his bursary award).
Withington,we are not sure about,we were told we were likely candidates to receive a bursary but we have not been offered one and are on reserves,basically waiting to possibly hear today but I do not think she has got her place or bursary.

We live in an area where the schools are not good,already taken 11 plus exams in Trafford well outside our LEA(our son passing very well ,daughter did not).She did however do very well in these exams,and interview.

Put it this way,there is only one other girl in the entire school who has taken the same exams.She has got in,but she has grandparents who can pay.
Our daughter has essentially done better,but I can't do anything about it.
Sort of waiting in today and tomorrow as the situation may change but I am not hopeful.Our other school is not bad but not in the same league.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Buffy21sam - difficult situation -hope you get some news soon.

Trouble is that the bursaries tend to be given to children who have done particularly well in the exams - most will have passed the GS exams too.
buffy21sam

Post by buffy21sam »

Thanks yes, that is what my husband said and our headteacher.
I know she must have done "very well",but they don't give out marks,I don't grudge the other girl,I am just jealous she is in a better (financial)position.
I am a full time housewife,and have reasons why I am not in work,hubby is a civil servant.
Trying to forget about it today,but easier said than done.

Also I know we are very lucky to get these offers.

and I am very happy that she got her first choice local school,a new academy,our son got the nearest school and was our last choice.(but ended up being irrelevant).
I have done the tutoring myself ,spent a fortune on books and such.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now